Oceanic Datamask Inoperative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No left-eyed model.

Thanks for the nudge scubapilot - got your PM. Let me address a couple of the issues (I'll leave whether the DataMask is a gadget or useful piece of equipment for another time...)

1. Corroding Screws - we use stainless steel on all screws, even the strap buckle assembly. In meeting a military spec and what we thought was a better cosmetic direction for the consumer version, we added a black coating to the stainless parts - which is causing the corrosion. Purely cosmetic. We are in the process of qualifying both a different coating process as well as simple passivated stainless parts.

2. Flooding/non-operative masks - we have received a percentage of 1% of masks shipped back that had water entry through the battery hatch. It appears that the o-ring was damaged during assembly, allowing water to enter during our factory pressure check prior to shipment (leading to some cases where the mask would not activate in the store). If you currently own a mask, and it is functioning properly - we are confident that it will continue to do so without any problems. However, despite the small number of returns, we understand that subsequent battery changes in the field may cause the same to occur. We are currently qualifying both a redesigned battery hatch door and o-ring.

We anticipate being in a position to provide dealers with replacement screws, battery hatches and o-rings by the middle of this month (January 08). I will update this thread and directly to registered owners as more information is available.

Once again, I am grateful for the prompt feedback provided by our customers - and scubaboard for providing the forum.

Happy New Year - and thanks for your continued support.

Doug

A valid point of view, but one I don't share. Although I don't subscribe to the "extremism" of GUI I do think that choice and configuration of equipment has a significant effect upon safety. A mask that's heavy & bulky and displays largely redundant information complicates diving and tends to reduce safety. Most of the people I've come across who've died in (for example) the Blue Hole in Dahab, Egypt were carrying too much useless gear, not enough really vital gear, and clearly didn't have the training or experience to use it all safely. I don't believe in minimalist diving either (there's a name for that but I've forgotten it) but I don't like taking down gear that has no valid & necessary function. It's distracting and ultimately if it doesn't contribute to safety it probably detracts from it.

At my dive center here in Belize I see some people who have lots of cute toys, Datamask included. I've never found those people to be the best divers.

This is of course just MHO, and is only based on my observations. I'm sure there are lots of gadget freaks out there who are really outstanding divers - I just haven't come across them (either here or in UK diving).

What about my specific question - is there a left-eyed version of the Datamask?

I've been an active diver since 1972 (age 15 - you do the math) - at that time all I dove with was a Steel 72 tank with a "J" valve, mask, regulator and depth gauge. No BC of any kind, no dive computer, and no SPG. As time goes by and the industry matures new equipment becomes available - the BC is a great example of something that wasn't available then, and now adds greatly to saftey and convienience. Another piece of equipment is a dive computer with it's obvious advantages. The Datamask is just a dive computer - nothing more - nothing less. I am sure you dive with a computer Peter - - well so do I, and I chose to have it located in a place that was convenient and didn't add to the addition of un-necessary clutter. I have simply combined the dive computer with another nice piece of essential equipment namely the dive mask. In doing so I have eliminated a rather bulky wrist mount that was hard to read, and tended to get banged up in the course of normal diving (ladders etc) and was a pain to look at in the dark of a night dive. Sure the Datamask is a tad expensive, but in my opinion it is a logical location for a dive computer and it's associated information presented to the diver in a format that helps to eliminate seperate pieces of equipment and greatly increases readability of essential information to the diver that my be a little on the far-sighted end of life. On all my dive trips I can't tell you how often I have seen other divers dragging their loose dive console all over virgin pieces of coral - I hate seeing that! You'll never see me with anything "hanging" off. And I assure you that the ability to imediately view data such as depth, tank pressure, and no-deco times does indeed add to safety.

Don't make it sound like the Datamask is some new-fangled hunk of junk that no one needs - it is after all just a dive computer - in a different format. After diving with it I would prefer not to go back to a wrist mount or a console design. :mooner:

Sorry guys, I'm not attacking the Datamask or Oceanic in general. I'm actually an Oceanic equipment engineer, though not active recently. I like many Oceanic products and I use some of them myself. I'm sure this mask is a good product for some people but I wouldn't want it myself - any more than I would want a computer integrated with my tank (I dive too often with several tanks).

A shame there isn't a left-eyed version though - means I couldn't use it even if I wanted to.

Hi Shark, I agree that the corrosion on the screws isn't that big of a deal. I returned my maskS because it was next to impossible for me to upload/download them. No one has really addressed that on the forum. When I contacted the nice folks at Oceanic, they admitted that they too had a difficult time making a connection to the download cord and that the plug needed to be redesigned and repositioned. The masks are very nice, BUT, for $1500, you should be able to upload/download first time, every time, and the screws should have no corrosion. Like I said on my first post... If bought a Mercedes and the lug nuts showed signs of corrosion the first time you took it out, you'de surely be concerned. (Stainless steel is not new to the dive industry!) For $1500 bucks, not only do I want a nice mask/computer (which the Datamask is), but I want one that is easily downloadable/uploadable (such as with Bluetooth), and one in which the screws do not corrode after the first dive.
I hope you understand. Best Regards..

For $1500 I'd want a mask with an automatic beacon so I could find it if I dropped it underwater. And I'd want a Bluetooth or other cordless upload facility.

In the middle of November I reported that one of the two Datamasks I had purchased was inoperative to initiate this thread. I would like to let you all know that that mask was quickly replaced by Oceanic and my wife and I went on our planned two week dive trip on the Caribbean Explorer II from 15-29 December 07 with a Datamask each. During the two week period we each did a total of 49 dives of the 53 that were offered and the masks performed extremely well.

I was concerned that my wife, who is not a gadget freak, would say after one dive that she hated this thing and she was going back to her original mask but instead she loved it. After the first four day dives she thought it was wonderful, after the first night dive she thought it was irreplaceable. It makes diving at night so much more comfortable in terms of controlling your depths and seeing exactly where you are with air consumption and dive time remaining.

Many of the dives on the CEX II required that you use the anchor/mooring line as the point of initiation and completion for the dives since the boat tends to swing through wide arcs and may be above you one second and out of sight 10 seconds later. The transition from the bow of the boat to the stern for recovery at the end of the dive, while maintaining your depth at 15-20 feet, can be tricky if your not starring at your computer. With the Datamask its simple and easy to maintain your depth during this transition.

In short we love our Datamasks and can't wait to dive with them again.

Guy

Guy, I agree with you that the people at Oceanic are extremely responsive, nice, and concerned. I also appreciate the good experience you have had while diving with the masks. However, have you tried uploading and/or downloading the computers? If so, it's very possible that you will see why I returned both of the masks I purchased. Even the nice people at Oceanic have difficulty doing a successful upload/download in their office. One person (at Oceanic) told me that he was only able to do a successful download after using a download cable from an Oceanic VT3 computer. Do you have any VT3 cables laying around your house? Again, I say... The Datamasks are very nice, BUT, for $1500, everything should work properly and something as simple as a screw should NOT show signs of corrosion after just one dive! I'm sure that you would love driving a Porsche Carrera. But, wouldn't you be a little disappointed if the lug nuts showed corrosion after the first time it was out and if the factory was unable to make the AM radio work - even though you may never listen to AM? If the Datamask was seven or eight hundred dollars, I would not be so critical. But, it's TWICE that much. When I took my Datamasks back to the dive shop where I purchased them, they too tried to download/upload the masks, as well as other Datamasks they had in stock. In doing so, they experienced 100% failure to do a complete and successful download. And, when I pointed out the corroded screws to them, their first comment was, "That's no good!" (They used other words).
It's fine, and understandable to be infatuated with the newest, most expensive, and most unique. But, I believe that it is infatuation that keeps many people from expressing the fact that this very expensive product does have deficiencies, and deficiencies that need to be corrected; particularly to justify a price of $1500!..That's a VERY high price to pay for a brand new, top-of-the-line wireless, air-integrated computer, and a very nice mask!

kroorda,

As my previous post in this same thread indicates, we are listening, have evaluated returns and are taking immediate action.

The PC download cable has been identified as awkward, not only by yourself - but at the same time, does not seem to be so for all (I'm not having any trouble with mine). We designed a new cable specifically for the mask, knowing that getting access to the port inside the mask was a potential challenge - to reevaluate and redesign either the cable and the internal connection, or both, is a considerable project.

I would like to point out that a dealer trying to download a mask from inventory will not have much success - there are no dives to download on a new mask.

I appreciate your concerns - you won't find me on here trying to convince you that you made the wrong decision - I believe that there are issues that need to be addressed in a timely manner. My earlier post indicated that replacement battery hatches, o-rings and screws will soon be available for retrofit at your dealer, or here at the factory. I'll get an update before the week's out.

Best regards,

Doug

Back
Top Bottom