Oceanic Geo 2 VS Suunto D4i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexx007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Okay. I have narrowed my selection down to two possible options. This will be my first dive computer purchase, which I will be using while I do my Dive Master Training. I've priced them to only be about $100 in difference, so that is not too much of a concern for me.

Just wondering if anyone has used both? Would prefer one over the other for specific reasons? Pros and Cons to both!
Any opinions would be great :)

The D4 has a woeful proprietary strap which has a terrible reputation for failure. The Suunto has no user replacable battery which is somewhat expensive and for me inconvenient. The Oceanic uses a dual algorithm which can be set to more liberal if that matters to you. Oceanics customer service is much better should you need it.

Out of the two I would choose the Oceanic for reasons above. Good luck.

Go with the Suunto D4i much better battery it use a 2450 where the geo 2 use a 2430. You will be changing batteries alot more with the geo 2 and that battery door suck on the geo 2. Also the D4i has air integration which you will use alot more the dual algorithm. The strap issue has been fixed for a long time now. It funny how buddhasummer has mentioned the firmware update to the geo 2 to fix bug in the program and some of the problem from the still from geo1 days. I do have to agree with buddhasummer on the customer service but I think that's because they knew about the problem to begin with.

Is the Suunto battery user replaceable or not? I've just had a dealer tell me it is, but I was sure it had to be sent in? If so, how does that work? Do you have to pay to ship it to them, and is it only covered up until your warranty runs out?

From Suunto "It is advisable to contact an authorized Suunto representative for battery replacement".

I have a Geo 2 and I'm quite happy with it. After 100 dives I had to change the battery, mainly because I left it out in my truck for several days of -20 weather, which apparently it didn't like. Took me a solid 2 minutes to change it, and no problems with the battery door.

It's my understanding that the algorithm in the Suunto is much more conservative, which can come into play if you're diving a lot in a short period of time.

The Oceanic software leaves a lot to be desired, and there's no air integration, but overall its a nice package.

I am looking at the Geo 2 as well. How easy is it to operate with gloves on?

I am looking at the Geo 2 as well. How easy is it to operate with gloves on?

That would depend on the thickness of your gloves, the thicker the harder. I gave up on watch style computers years ago mainly due to my aging eyes but also wrist style computers are easier to operate for me especially in thick gloves and are for me are much easy to put on and off if fitted with bungee mounts from DSS or the like.

I am still debating between these two computers, but I was wondering...
I was planning on purchasing the computer a month before I leave so I can go through the manual and get to know the computer and whatnot. The only thing is that I will not have an opportunity to dive with it until I am out of the country. So I'm a bit concerned, if there are any problems are whatnot, am I going to be able to deal with the manufacturers even if I didn't purchase the computer in the country I'm in?

I am still debating between these two computers, but I was wondering...
I was planning on purchasing the computer a month before I leave so I can go through the manual and get to know the computer and whatnot. The only thing is that I will not have an opportunity to dive with it until I am out of the country. So I'm a bit concerned, if there are any problems are whatnot, am I going to be able to deal with the manufacturers even if I didn't purchase the computer in the country I'm in?

Recreational computers are not generally overly complicated, unless intellectually challenged or the manual is written by Cressi, and usually only takes an hour or so to figure them out. Oceanic I believe offer worldwide support, I could be wrong though, why don't you post this question over on Oceanics forum and get a rep to answer. Suunto service has a dreadful reputation, just do a search and you'll see what I mean. Although I'm sure it does happen having a computer fail straight out of the box is rare, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Good luck.

I've been diving a Geo2 as a backup to my VT3 for nearly 2 years. My first battery lasted a year and a half and 160 dives before the low battery icon came on. The battery change was incredibly simple and fast, much easier than the battery change for my VT3. I've not needed any Oceanic service for quite a while but they were very good when I had trouble with one of my original Pro Plus computers. They ended up upgrading it to a Pro Plus 2 for no charge. That computer is still in use by one of my children.

I've been diving Oceanic computers for over a dozen years and like the liberal DSAT (Rogers/Powell) algorithm. I dive the Geo2 with the DSAT algorithm to match my VT3 though it is dual algorithm and also has the Z+ (Buhlmann ZHL-16C) algorithm as an alternative. I find operating either computer with 3-5 mm gloves easy. I have no personal experience with Suunto, however, my wife dived with a Suunto rental on one of our extended trips and we found the algorithm to be considerably more conservative. Her computer contolled all of our dives.

Best of luck in your computer purchase,

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom