Oceanic or Scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm ready to buy a new pair of fins. The fins I use have left me walking on the bottom twice.The strip came loose once and the pin fell out once. Anyway sounds like a good excuse to buy new split fins. Which to buy Oceanic Vortex 12 or Scubapro Jet fins?
Any body using Oceanic vortex?
Thanks in advance for any help.

the best thing to do is take a pair of shorts with you to the dive store and try out the fins in the water and find what you think is best for you allmost every store that has a pool will let you try out the fins its the best way to get some that feel good and do what you want them to do....john

Ditto Diverjohnz!

IMHO, I suggest not limiting yourself to splitfins or just two manufacturers. For some types of diving split fins may not work as well. I have tried the atomics and while I liked them alot, they didn't function well for me positioning for photos. Try them all and buy what suits you, not what's popular.

I may incorperate a pair of splitfins into my collection, but for now what I have suits ME.

:guitarist

You all made a good point. For one thing, I don't know enough about diving, to know what is best for me. The dive shop in Atlanta has a pool and will let me try some fins.
Thank I will wait till I get more bottom time. Who knows maybe I will meet some of you at the lake and you will let me try your fins.

thanks

I`ve used quattros for the last few years and thought they were good but heard alot about these split fins , so i borrowed a pair of atomics and tried them in the pool , they were alot lighter on the legs and slightly faster then the mares quattros , but i had to give them back :( .When i was in the dive show i came across tusa split fins that have a 27 degree blade and they were a pretty good price so i bought them.
Now i keep getting novices asking me to slow down a bit !!
You don`t think your going any quicker due to the less pressure on your legs .
Hope this helps .

I've seen pictures of the Tusa but never used them. The 27 deg offset is a bit extreme but I suspect that the fin should work well. In fact, the idea of offset was pioneered by the Cressi company with their original "Rondine" open toe foot fin. In those days, the Navy divers used to swear by their "Duckfeet" which had zero offset but I could never get them to work well. The years came and went as did the fad of the ages, the Jetfin. This had a small offset but worked well because of the vents which seemed to compensate.

All of which brings us back to today. Personally, I use Apollo Bio Fins. These are constructed of wonderfully aromatic gum rubber, the old fashioned rain forest kind of stuff and feature substantial offset; not quite 27 deg, but a lot, maybe 20 deg. I wonder why it took them so long to come up with the split fin design. If it hadn't been for Nature's Wing, we'd still be puffin' on Quattros.

Personally, I'd stay away from the the split Jet. The fin blades are too wide for me. However, if you are above average in size, the split Jets do generate power. Don't know anything about the Oceanic except the V12 appears to be a copy of the Apollo Bio Fin. Rodale likes it.

Thanks Simon66 and Devjr for your input. The Tusa split is on my list to try. Don't know if the dive store in Atlanta has those in stock. I agree, the jet fin do look a little wide.

I own atomics and oceanic v-12s. I've tried apollo bio pros and tusa xpert zooms. The v-12s and the bio pros feel and perform nearly identically as far as I'm concerned. The foot pockets in both tend to run large and they feel somewhat floppy, yet they give more thrust for the effort than the atomics or tusas. The tusas and the atomics feel closer to regular fins but give more thrust than any normal fins I've tried, and the pockets are not as wide as the bio pros or v-12s. Personally I really like the v-12s and I'm looking for 2 more pair in XS to replace the small ones that I have and my atomics. Of course this is all just one man's opinion. I'd find a shop that will let you test them out in a pool if possible, and at the very least find them in a shop and see how they all fit.

Miller once bubbled...
I'm ready to buy a new pair of fins. The fins I use have left me walking on the bottom twice.The strip came loose once and the pin fell out once. Anyway sounds like a good excuse to buy new split fins. Which to buy Oceanic Vortex 12 or Scubapro Jet fins?
Any body using Oceanic vortex?
Thanks in advance for any help.

I have both the V-12's and the Bio-fins. Both are excellent fins and have very comfortable foot pockets. The V-12 is longer and stiffer than the Bio-fin, and requires a little more effort to kick. I like the buckles on the V-12's more, and the foot pocket is both wider and longer than the a comparable Bio-fin.

All in all, I prefer the Bio-fin to the V-12. You can flutter, frog, modified frog, and scull kick with very little effort. I can even bend my knees 90 degrees and do a small flutter with my ankles only and get pretty decent propulsion.

Back
Top Bottom