Oceanic ProPlus X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As to the original post, with Oceanic now owned by Huish Outdoors (also Atomic’s parent company) there might be some progress on the product. :wink:

Does Huish want 2 such similar products out here?

Richard.

Does Huish want 2 such similar products out here?

Richard.

I have a feeling the one that says "Atomic" on it will always be priced in a totally different range than the Oceanic, so it will make sense to keep them both.

But initially the Oceanic was expected to be a little more expensive. I was surprised.

Richard.

Both are quite expensive, looks to be about $1,350 for the Cobalt and about $1,450 for the Plus X. Serious money, you'd really want to have a hosed AI computer.

It will be very interesting to see what Huish does with all the brands it's acquired, along with potentially overlapping products

But initially the Oceanic was expected to be a little more expensive. I was surprised.

Richard.

Interesting! That does seem to be reason to wonder. It's hard (for me) to imagine people who are diehard loyal to Oceanic that they would pay so much. Especially when my understanding of what the PPX replaces was widely available for WAY less than that.

Just bought a pro plus x and on dive 4 it blacked out and went dead. Total malfunction.

Good think my Atom 3 was on my wrist.

Not sure what to expect now with the PPX. Hopefully my retailer will just exchange it. Otherwise it's off to repair. Not happy.

...and I should add. No way to reset the computer. With other DCs you can remove the battery and that will generally reboot the computer.

With the PPX, there is no way to hard or soft reset! So no way to troubleshoot. No way to reboot it.

IMHO. Design flaw.

Naui, I think that the worst thing is that you paid sooo much, and it failed. Whether its a new car, a new toaster, or a dive computer, one tends to have higher expectations when they pay more (especially substantially more) for something. I never use to carry a backup computer (I do now :) ) and I've been diving for more than 40 years. Likewise, I've used a dive computer since they first appeared. (Sure was nice not having to dive tables anymore! :) ) Both Atomic and Oceanic are very service oriented and I'm sure that you'll have no problem getting it fixed/replaced. However, I know well that, no matter how well a company services their equipment, that sure doesn't help us when we're diving half-way around the world, or out on a liveaboard. If I would have one, most important thing so say to the Dive Computer Manufacturers, it would be, "Not only do we trust our lives to these computers, but, if you're going to charge more than $1000 for a computer, it better be right and it better be as reliable as a Rolex watch."

Just stumbled across this post as I did a search for Cobalt vs Pro Plus X. I have just spent a week diving the Pro Plus X and have found it extremely user friendly. I did read the manual before my trip, but that was mostly to learn the computer's habits and capabilities. When actually setting up and using the computer, I just followed menu prompts and found it extremely user friendly. I would certainly consider this to be a "menu driven" computer, with nothing left to the imagination - screen prompts tell you exactly what to do next. One reason for my search was to try to figure out the reason for the price difference between these two computers. I loved this computer and want one, but am having trouble justifying the laptop like pricing for it when a regular ole ProPlus 3 would really still suit me just fine (the one I've been using is a loaner). So far, with 12 dives and some nitrox programming, no problems with the computer, BUT as I said that, I remembered that the temp gauge is off by several (about 5-7) degrees. I would imagine that one might have to exchange the unit to get that taken care of... Very interested in other user comments!

The Pro Plus X can be configured with different algorithms to match (or be similar to) other dive computers. That is a pretty cool feature, as I am thinking about buying this to supplement/back up a Shearwater Perdix AI.

Does anyone know if the Cobalt can do this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom