Oceanic ProPlus X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Pro Plus X can be configured with different algorithms to match (or be similar to) other dive computers. That is a pretty cool feature, as I am thinking about buying this to supplement/back up a Shearwater Perdix AI.

Does anyone know if the Cobalt can do this?
The Cobalt currently runs two algorithms, a "folded RGBM", which is M-value based like Buhlmann, with additional factors added to reduce bubble formation, and a fully iterative RGBM, which is running the full bubble computations in real time. The latter only kicks in for dives that go below 150'. The choice of algorithm is not something user selectable. In terms of inherent conservatism, the Cobalt's algorithm are pretty much in the middle of the range of dive computers.

There are settings- conservatism, age, workload, etc. that you can alter to bring the results into general alignment with other computers. The Cobalt's onboard simulator, which replicates the functions of desktop dive planning software, allows you to test that easily for particular dive or multi-dive scenarios- you can see exactly what your deco schedule would be for a particular series of dives, or what NDT's would be after a multi-dive series and a particular surface interval. Many divers do use the simulator function and adjusting settings to do exactly what you describe and bring computers into alignment. Cobalt Guide: Simulation Menu

But computers running different algorithms, on different processors, and with different methods of handling dive events, violations, allowable time away from a stop, methods of recalculating schedules, etc. will never be in synch in all dive scenarios. Algorithms are only a part of the picture. How a particular computer implements an algorithm is a big factor.

-Ron

Hi @Alaskaguy11

The ProPlus X or the Cobalt 2 would be an expensive, hosed backup for your Perdix AI. In general, I would suggest diving a backup running the same decompression algorithm as your primary computer

That being said, I have dived Oceanic computers running DSAT for 15 years, 1300 dives. My diving is mostly no stop with about 5% light deco. This decompression algorithm has worked out very well for me. My current primary computer is a 7 year old VT3. I dived a Geo2 backup for 6 years. For the last year, 160 dives, I have been diving a Dive Rite Nitek Q, to gain experience with Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF.

The ProPlus X would have 4 choices, from most liberal to most conservative, DSAT, PZ+, DSAT with conservatism, and PZ+ with conservatism. I only have experience with DSAT. DSAT does not map in a perfectly straightforward way to Buhlmann. You can match DSAT reasonably closely for no stop dives using a GF hi of between 90-100, higher for deeper depths, lower for shallower depths.

The Cobalt 2 deco algorithm appears to be slightly more conservative than DSAT, but more liberal than the other RGBM algorithms (Cressi, Mares, Suunto). I have no experience with matching the Atomic algorithm with Buhlmann, others may be able to guide you as to their experience. The Cobalt 2 deco algorithm is also adjustable with a risk level and an exertion level, both making the standard algorithm more conservative.

I would imagine my next primary computer will be running Buhlmann, if/when my VT3 dies. Diving the 2 algorithms in parallel has helped me understand the similarities and differences

Best of luck, good diving, Craig

I just purchased the PPX to replace a PP2. I really like the PPX and yes, you really need to read the manual.

I have been having issues with the compass and was wondering if anyone else has. It acts like it calibrates but when you start moving around and pointing it in different directions it seems to get out of calibration. Sometimes the heading numbers just jump around all over the place. Other time is acts normal until I compare it with an analog compass, then I can tell it's up to 30 degrees off. I had the declination feature turned off so I know that's not the problem. This was all before any diving.

I used it on a 2 tank dive thinking it may act differently in the water, it didn't. Visibility was about 5 to 7 feet and the compass was not telling me how to get back to the entry point. Luckily I took an analog compass with me and a dive buddy.

I would really appreciate feedback on how the compass has performed and/or how you got it to be accurate.

Thanks,
Todd

...and I should add. No way to reset the computer. With other DCs you can remove the battery and that will generally reboot the computer.

With the PPX, there is no way to hard or soft reset! So no way to troubleshoot. No way to reboot it.

IMHO. Design flaw.

NAUI-

I too have a PPX which blacked out "dead" after my sixth dive. What was your end result? Were you able to discover a magical button push sequence or did you have to send it back?

NAUI-

I too have a PPX which blacked out "dead" after my sixth dive. What was your end result? Were you able to discover a magical button push sequence or did you have to send it back?

I have a PPX that failed on its 5th dive. Compass indicated nearly 30 degrees off an analog we had while at 50ft in 52F water. At the surface, the computer went dead until it dryed out. The surface time indicated by the computer when it came back on was way off by hours. Recharged it and then noticed it had wiped out all settings and somehow had completely reset itself. Have no idea what occurred. Sent it back to Oceanic instead of diving on it again. After 2 months of very poor communication, I finally got it back with no explanation. This one looks new and everything is sealed. Need to check the serial number to see if this is the same unit. I bought a SW Teric in the meantime and love it. Got sick
of waiting for Oceanic to respond. Thinking I should keep the PPX sealed and sell it. I do not trust it esp after reading about others having PPX failures. Sucks after investing so much into what I expected to be a great computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom