Oceanic Veo 100 NX vs Suunto Gekko vs Tusa Element IQ-650

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cvrle1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey,

I am looking into purchasing a dive comp and had 3 of them in mind

Oceanic Veo 100 NX
Suunto Gekko
Tusa Element IQ-650

Wanted to see what the overall feeling on these is. I am looking for nitrox capability as well as ability to get data from the watch to the computer. Don't think any of these are air integrated (from what I read at least), which is not a huge thing for me.

Thanks

I can only comment on the capabilities of the VEO 100 NX and that's that it doesn't have a backlight and can't be downloaded to a PC (move up to the VEO 180 to get both of those options plus gauge mode).

That said, Suunto computers are considered by many divers to be far too conservative.

I can't comment on the others but I have a Gekko and have been very happy with it. It is very easy to use and easy to read underwater.

The Gekko is a nice computer for reasonable money. Big display, easy to use.

My wife has one (I have a Cobra). We have done several trips with up to 5 dives per day. Both computers stay reasonably close together (allowing for minor dive profile differences) . A deciding factor might be andsered by the question: "what computer / algorithm does your buddy use"?

On one of our trips, I would have bet the guys at the resort could have sold 3 that week if they had them in stock with several folks diving tables and being disappointed they could not keep up on dives with the rest of us.

Conservative as a negative? Assuming you are just getting into diving, why not give yourself every break you can safety-wise?

The Gekko is a nice computer for reasonable money. Big display, easy to use.

My wife has one (I have a Cobra). We have done several trips with up to 5 dives per day. Both computers stay reasonably close together (allowing for minor dive profile differences) . A deciding factor might be andsered by the question: "what computer / algorithm does your buddy use"?

On one of our trips, I would have bet the guys at the resort could have sold 3 that week if they had them in stock with several folks diving tables and being disappointed they could not keep up on dives with the rest of us.

Conservative as a negative? Assuming you are just getting into diving, why not give yourself every break you can safety-wise?

You can always dive more conservatively than the computer. :confused:

ability to get data from the watch to the computer

I don't think the Gekko can be downloaded to a PC either.

I don't think the Gekko can be downloaded to a PC either.

There is a way actually. I found a post (believe it was on here actually) that went into detail how to do it. There were 30+ pages in the thread.

Thanks for all the responses!

Thanks again for all the replies. I ended up purchasing a computer not on that list. Went with Aeris Atmos 2. Got it from scubatoys for $175 used.

Read up on it and it sounded better then the 3 I had in the original list.

Nice choice, I've seen a fair amount of people with them. I dive the Veo180nx and I love it. A reasonably priced comp that can do nitrox and can be downloaded. People complain about not having a back light but I figure if it's dark enough not to see the comp, I'll be carrying a light anyways.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom