Oceanic VEO 180 Dive Comp. Good? Bad? Anybody?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarChick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking about the Oceanic VEO 180 Personal Dive Computer. We are planning on doing a nitrox course in Curacao, and are planning on upgrading. I am curious if anyone has this? What do you really think?

Yes, I have one...and I just ordered a second one as a backup. I only have 6 dives on the first one so far, but I like it. I am relatively new to diving and I am still getting used to all my gear. One thing I have not been able to confirm yet is the aural beeping underwater when an alarm is triggered. I do not know if it isn't loud enough or that I was just preoccupied with all the newbie pressures.

Oceanic is also good with their support, and they are constantly working on improving the computer software that downloads the data from the dive computer to your PC.

Cool Where did you get yours? How much? Was the software extra?

I am a big Oceanic PDC fan. They serve very well in diving, working within the same safety parameters as the dive agencies, for less money than some of the "more conservative" PDCs that actually just penalize dive time for conservative bragging rights.

I do like the features, settings, etc. First thing I tell anyone wanting to know of my opinions is to store the quick reference card where you won't use is to cheat, instead - study the manual and run Sim dives on the PDC until you know it well, and turn off Default. If you do all that, you'll know why I turn off Default. If one doesn't, then they won't know their computer well enough to dive it, and screw up.

Hehe, the beeper is plenty loud. When I was new to diving and somewhat challenged with all the details to watch, I did not use a keeper to hold my console close, but carried it in my left hand thru out all dives so I'd remember to look at air and PDC often - plus stop waving my arms like newbies do. When I ascended to fast or anything else that would set off the alarm, I might see it first, then notice the beeping, then learned to listen for it.

Oceanic is super about customer service. When my old computer died at 5 yrs, I called, then sent it to them, and they replaced it with a slightly better one for $80. :D That's how I got the VEO 200 I dive now along with my Versa Pro.

Software is free, but the download cable is $50, 75 or 100, depending on where & how you buy it. I don't want to say that ScubaToys.com is the only good supplier, but I always start there in shopping, then compare to other sites, then ask my LDS if they can get what I want for the same price. My LDS doesn't carry Oceanic, so my next choice is ST. If I find a better price than ST's anywhere, I call Larry at ST and he beats it.

There is a bug in the current software download upgrade that they thot they'd have fixed over a week ago. I'm sure they will any day now, but I just spoke with Rick yesterday. Not yet.

Hi Don!! (Try again)
Thanks a ton for the report. I really like the looks of it. I have checked the price at the evil LP and Boy I am not sure if they Scuba Toys can even match the price at LP. But I am going to call Larry and see if my LDS can't do it....

CheddarChick:
Hi Don!! (Try again)
Thanks a ton for the report. I really like the looks of it. I have checked the price at the evil LP and Boy I am not sure if they Scuba Toys can even match the price at LP. But I am going to call Larry and see if my LDS can't do it....
I think that Larry at STs will ALWAYS beat LP prices on anything. Virtually a guarantee. If that ever changes, I want to know - it may be a medical problem. :11:

:rofl3: :rofl3:
If Larry is lurking here. pm me!!! I need to see if what Don said is true.

I just picked up the veo (250?) last week as part of a new oceanic package. I dive an atmos 2 but ill be using this as a backup.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom