Oceanic Veo 2.0 Battery Change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHugger

Contributor
Reaction score
Early last year I bought a Veo 2.0. One of the features I liked was the 'user replaceable' battery, especially as I am a plane ride (and another country) away from any LDS or Oceanic rep. Now it is that time.

Instructions to do this are not in my manual, nor on Oceanic's website. And google only turns up full tutorial videos on the use. I must admit to being disappointed in Oceanic. Why is this info not in the manual?

After taking off the retaining ring, I am faced with a clear plastic cover over the battery. So, what next? Obviously, there must be some water proof seal. Is the cover to be pried out? Screwed out (if so, how to grip?)? Clockwise or Anti-clockwise? How to reseal?

Any help appreciated. Btw, I happen to like the computer!

Gently pop the clear cover off with your fingernail; it doesn't unscrew. Take care not to damage the sealing surfaces. Both the battery and the o-ring should be replaced - both come in the battery kit along with lubricant for the o-ring. Clean all the surfaces with a barely damp cotton swab, taking care to remove any stray fuzz from the swab. Once you remove the old battery you need to make the change quickly or you will lose any data in the computer. Be absolutely certain the o-ring is properly seated when you reassemble, otherwise a flood is likely. Use your thumb to hold the clear cover in place while you place the retaining ring and tighten it down. It's not as hard as it might seem but the price for screwing up is extreme, so proceed with caution.

It's a little tricky even if you're used to doing your own repairs. The lock ring needs to be
put over your thumb so you can slide it back down into place while applying continuous
pressure on the clear plastic cover and o-ring assembly. I have an Aeris which is similar.
I like the user replaceable but I always thought there has to be a simpler way to design a
user replaceable battery. Don't be in a hurry to re-assemble just be carefull and thorough.
If your dive log clears just be sure not to dive if you have dove recently because when it clears
it will not have a record of possible recent dives. Good luck with it.

Thanks to all! Mission accomplished i.e. removing battery cover (without a damage....I think). Will complete job tomorrow in daylight........I really hate these d!*# energy saver bulbs. The rest should be doable, now that I see what the inside looks like.

Reefraff - had to use a tiny jeweller's screw driver - thanks for the pop out instruction, big help!

Acrofrag - thanks for the link, will save. My main problem was the battery cover as I did not know how it was attached. Again the manual fell short - pg 93 says 'remove battery cover'. The rest, however, seems detailed.

Back
Top Bottom