Oceanic VEO2 Read this if you own one.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StayWet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving this computer for about 2 years now, I like it. However, the second time I needed to change the battery and decided to also replace the compartment O-ring, (which is recommended with each battery change - though I did reuse the O-ring on the first batt change), I discovered just how seriously OVERPRICED the "battery/O-ring kits" are, that the dive retailers sell...$23 or higher for a single battery and O-ring!!!
Well...I bought the battery for $4.98 at a home improvement store, and then went to a local hardware store and got the O-ring for .48 cents!!!
Caveat emptor my dive buddies,
Caveat emptor

I've been diving this computer for about 2 years now, I like it. However, the second time I needed to change the battery and decided to also replace the compartment O-ring, (which is recommended with each battery change - though I did reuse the O-ring on the first batt change), I discovered just how seriously OVERPRICED the "battery/O-ring kits" are, that the dive retailers sell...$23 or higher for a single battery and O-ring!!!
Well...I bought the battery for $4.98 at a home improvement store, and then went to a local hardware store and got the O-ring for .48 cents!!!
Caveat emptor my dive buddies,
Caveat emptor

And how do you know if the o'ring you got for cheap is the same o'ring as the original one with the same size and specifications and won't leak?

Last edited:
You never know if a #^#$ alkaline won't leak....never. Getting a supposedly decent 2450 shouldn't have been too hard. I concur that the battery kits at the dive shops are stupidly overpriced, AND being so they probably sit around, so you have no idea how old the battery is likely to be.
Don't think I've ever changed an O-ring on a dive computer.

A lot of folks have contributed a wealth of data on the subject of computers and batteries. Check out the this thread Dive computer battery and o-ring spec's
The latest consolidated list that I found was V1.5 (attached) which shows the VEO 2.0 (A PPS puck computer) as using a 2-026 o-ring and a CR2450 battery. The 2-026 O-ring (soft, duro 70) should cros to a AS568-026 and it looks like Amazon sells them for $5.62 per hundred https://www.amazon.com/026-Buna-N-R...ords=Buna+O-Ring,+70A+Durometer,+Round,+Black
As for batteries I have not had good luck with the cheap Energizer, Rayovac and even Duracell's. I have had real good luck with Panasonics.

Attachments

• Computer Batt O-ring V1.5.pdf
    268.8 KB · Views: 172
Yup, panasonic and sony batteries are the way to go. Others may give you premature low bat warning. Now that is from our veo 180 and 200's. Have not had the problem with the 2.0's, but I only use sony/panasonic.

And how do you know if the battery you got for cheap is the same battery as the original one with the same size and specifications and won't leak?

Hmmm, lets see...because I bought a CR2450 3V battery, which is what the owners manual calls for and also was printed on the old battery. What method do you use to replace batteries?
As for the replacement O-ring, it was field tested on 40 dives of a 2 week trip to Roatan, which included several dives at or over 100ft. Don't know about you, but THAT'S convincing enough for me!

Hmmm, lets see...because I bought a CR2450 3V battery, which is what the owners manual calls for and also was printed on the old battery. What method do you use to replace batteries?
As for the replacement O-ring, it was field tested on 40 dives of a 2 week trip to Roatan, which included several dives at or over 100ft. Don't know about you, but THAT'S convincing enough for me!

Sorry, I meant o'ring. Comment corrected.

Back
Top Bottom