Oceanic VT4 Compass, etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marshvet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone had the opportunity to work with the VT4 compass? Any feedback would be appreciated. In fact, any thoughts about the VT4 in general would be appreciated too. Especially if anyone can compare the Veo 3 with it - not with regard to air integration - that difference is clear. Thanks.

Marshall

Not ready to do a full review, only did one dive with the vt4 so far. As far as the compass, I did set a bearing and reversed it, which seemed to work well. I'm not convinced to abandon carrying another compass quite yet through. When you switch to the compass screen, the only dive data you see is current depth (at the top of the screen), which I'm not quite sure I like. Need to dive a little more with it, hoping to do a couple of dives on Saturday, which will likely require some compass nav. I'll let you know. As far as the other functions, I'm switching from a atom 2 myself, so the slightly larger text is nice, plus having the ascent rate bars which were not on the atom 2 (alarm only).

Mark

The compass is really easy to use and very accurate. The nice thing about the compass is it is accurate up to 90 degrees. One of the differences from the Veo 3 is that you have the dot matrix display. It is increadable easy to navagate and use. One of the best computers on the market, I love mine.

Thanks for both of your responses so far. Shftrdog, Mark before you mentioned some concerns about not seeing much data while on the compass screen. Do you find that an issue or is easy enough when following a bearing to just switch to main mode & back? Also, as you may have guessed, I am comparing it to the Veo 3. Any other insight is appreciated.

Marshall

Thanks for both of your responses so far. Shftrdog, Mark before you mentioned some concerns about not seeing much data while on the compass screen. Do you find that an issue or is easy enough when following a bearing to just switch to main mode & back? Also, as you may have guessed, I am comparing it to the Veo 3. Any other insight is appreciated.

Marshall

Switching between compass and main mode is pretty easy, just press the main button on the side >2 sec. Not really that big of an issue, but in the case of my dive last weekend, I was in about 3 ft vis, so it can be a little difficult to pick a spot on your bearing and swim without constantly looking at the compass. In better vis that would be less of an issue. Also, I tend check my computer/gauges more often than most people (I know its overkill, but do it anyway) so I probably notice it more than most, I guess it would just be nice to have depth and tank pressure on the compass screen, maybe even the nitrogen loading graph too??? Don't take this to be a negative review of the computer, overall I thought it was well put together and the display was good (not atomic cobalt good, but wireless air integrated for way less $ than a cobalt).

here the VT 4.0 compass in action

vt4_compass.jpg

The competition is between the VT4 vs the Sol vs the Mares Icon.

:popcorn:

Never dove it so I can't comment directly... but I have heard from several sources that they wouldn't trust the mares icon compass enough to ditch their analog compass. Looked at the Luna (little brother to the sol) too, but got too good of a deal upgrading to switch from oceanic, cost was pretty much half what the luna would have been. The OP may be in the same boat.

The VT4 compass is pretty accurate. I did a quarry dive which included a several hundred yard swim and we arrived within about 30 feet of the intended location. Manual compass is removed from my rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom