Oceanic white tip shark jumping out of water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaozy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

Last week I was on a liveaboard at Red Sea and during one of the many dives with oceanic white tip sharks, one of them rocketed to the surface from 12 meters verticaly with incredible speed and disappeared at the surface. Couple of seconds later it splashed back in.
I am wondering why is has done what it did. I have red that some sharks jump out of water to get rid of "hitch hikers". But as far as I read, only ones jumping out are Spinner, thresher and great white.
The shark in question was not a grown one (guesstimated 1.5 meters) and was swimming perfectly horizontal prior to this event and I have not noticed anything extraordinary at the surface to immediately attract the shark.
Anybody observed this behavior with Longimanus?

Your three listed, are cetainly not the only sharks that jump (breach) out of the water. I know several others. Mako's for one. Browns and duskys will jump in a feeding frenzy. Many sharks will jump.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom