Oceanlog 2.2.4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCadiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Oceanlog 2.2.4 looks pretty good I have only played with it a little bit, and I really like that they add the display back to it and a few more features its a long ways from the Data Trans software also I have attached a screen shot. If those guy would have stop complaining about the gear bag problem in the earlier version after the first time they may have gotten this version out sooner because the software is free and you should know your own dive gear.

Attachments

• 224oceanlog.jpg
    224oceanlog.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 268
If those guy would have stop complaining about the gear bag problem in the earlier version after the first time they may have gotten this version out sooner because the software is free and you should know your own dive gear.

The fact of the matter is that anyone that bought a download adapter for their computer or purchased a computer with the adapter actually paid for software the fact that the software is downloadable from Oceanic's website is irrelevent.
IMHO bug free software should have been available 2 years ago.
Without the gearbag working properly it is software to transcribe the computer data to a PC and then to paper it needs the gearbag to be complete dive logging software.

First off it is a Beta and hasn't been released to the general public yet.
Doug has asked a few of us that have evaluated earlier versions to give it a run.
I did today and can tell you straight...Don't bother!
Although the new and revived features are nice, the program still has significant problems.
The database may get corrupted during the upgrade.
It had a runtime error and shut down when I tried to download from my Atom 2.0 I gave up after 3 attempts.
Another time it caused an error when trying to shut down.
It shouldn't even be called a Beta I'd be embarassed to release anything like that as an Alpha.
If you should decide to download it be sure to backup the database before installing it.

It's working on my system, I can open and close Oceanlog with no problem and I can download as well. I have my profile, my wife and a couple of friend’s profiles as also and they open and close with no problem. I haven’t used the gear bag function.
Not knowing your system RAWalker one of three things are going on, something is wrong with your system, something is wrong with the program or your data file. But odds are that it’s your system or your data file. Have you sent your file to Oceanic or better yet a neutral party to see if that’s the problem?

Odds are that it isn't my system as aside from the gear bag bug version 2.2.3 works perfectly. That is why Beta testing should be done with a group that uses different hardware and software.
My system is fairly standard a Dell Inspiron 8500 with a 2.4ghz P4M and 1.5 gb of memory running Windows XP, Avast antivirus, Photoshop CS3, Nero 7 Platinum and MS Office 2007 and it shows no sign of any other problems.

I just tested version 2.2.4 and RAWalker is right about the gear bag. It just retains the previous gear bag details instead of applying the selected template.

I also noticed some issues with the "cylinder" functionality on the dive menu. If you edit the cylinder type (change the description from say "Cylinder 3442PSI/100FT3" to "Steel 100 @ 3442") it seems to rebuild the entry (for "Cylinder 3442PSI/100FT3") when you navigate to dives that were not yet viewed since upgrading. I think this could be resolved by simply scrolling through all the dives in your logbook immediately after upgrading. That causes the software to build all of the different tank sizes from your existing dive info. You can then go back and edit them without creating duplicates. For the record, I am upgrading from version 2.2.0 which did not have the cylinder type functionality so these entries are being created for the first time.

Personally, I would like to see the "memo" tab on the dive page as the default selected tab or have it remember which tab was selected last. I use the memo field for every dive, but I rarely look at the other two tabs. It's annoying to have to constantly select it again when switching from the dive page to another page.

Otherwise, this version is the best I have seen in a while (since 2.2.0). I only tested it for about 30 minutes so there may be other issues. Assuming there aren't any other major issues I would upgrade if the gear bag problem could be fixed.

Found another issue. The dive type "Cavern" is missing from the dive types tab on the locations page. All of the others seem to be there including cave, but cavern got wiped out in the upgrade somehow.

Did you turn of your virus detection before installing?

That was a very good call. I didn't so I decided to give it another try.
Interesting experience:
When I went back to version 2.2.3 I just ran the 2.2.3 setup and it overwrote 2.2.4.
When running setup on 2.2.4 it brought up a screen with a choice to Remove, Repair or Modify. This shows that a better installer was used for this version.
So in this case I thought a try at repair might be appropriate.
Now I haven't put in a significant amount of time yet but based on what I have seen so far the program seems to be working.
The database opened and the fields seem complete and correct without any corruption.
I tested for the gear bag weight bug and that seems to have been repaired.
I was able to zero the weight field I didn't need to use and it held when changing dive records and after closing the program.
The Cylinder issue that Cleavitt noticed and location issue is related to the upgrade from version 2.2.0 from the earlier versions some manual updating is necessary to adjust for the newly added features and related fields. Many of us already took care of that to use later versions.
So to sum it up I'm not sure if my antivirus being turned off during the repair install or the repair process of the new installer itself did the trick but all seems functional at this time.
My appology to Doug and the software developer. I was too fast reacting to the problems I had experienced. I would however strongly recommend NCadiver's suggestion of turning off antivirus before the install. (I don't like having to do this for software installs I find it a bad practice except for OS upgrades (software should install properly with antivirus running IMHO)) If this is the case the installer should halt and warn to shut down anything that may interfere with it's install and/or a warning should be included in install/user/release notes.

Back
Top Bottom