Oceanlog 3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is absolutely fine for the opening poster to suggest new features for Oceanic to look at implementing. What I think is quite astonishing is a poster, that has haunted the Oceanic Forum with what THEY think NEEDS to be implemented by Oceanic, flaming down a new forum poster with some suggestions on how to improve the software

You on the other hand are complaining about the interface being ugly. Talk about whining!

I think that out of all the people in the Oceanic Forum, I think you are the top of the list when it comes to whining about the software.

Might want to take your signature into consideration as well RA..

Torkm nice to hear from you out of leftfield.
It's really fairly easy to say I've haunted Oceanics forum whining about features the fact is that my "whining" was limited to them fixing the package they had delivered to consumers.
Other than that I think you find my posts in the Oceanic forum limited to minor suggestions and helping other users.
When a company doesn't deliver on what they have sold it really isn't whining it is demanding what that consumer is entitled to. Yep I did that I'm proud of the fact that I stand up for things I'm entitled to.
Now here we are with a product that has delivered and we have someone who still is not satisfied. When asked what else they need they want features that do nothing in reality to help the software deliver on it's primary goal or others just want to put a new face on it.

It appears you read my signature now do a search on my other posts in this forum and really do some reading. Because your last post here was just passing gas. Since you just join this forum in January of this year maybe you are unaware that Oceanlog problems dated back a number of years.

It has nothing to do with the problems that the Oceanlog software has had. The issue here is the fact that you have slammed down a forum poster with a few suggestions that they would like to see added to a future version of Oceanlog.

As far as I know, you are not a developer of the software or even help in its development in anyway - except for the suggestions that you give on these forum. The OP gave some suggestions too, but got harassed for it.

The OP suggestion may be not what You want, but this software is not actually made just for you. You call a feature bloatware? The OP may use it quite often and cant live without it. What happens when Oceanic puts in a feature that you don't want? Are you going to go use another software/company like you told the OP poster?

I have actually been on this forum for quite a long time, enough to see that when things don't go your way you are happy to insult, whinge and complain. My posts may be 'gas' to you, but if you are willing to give it out, then you will need to learn to get it back.

Torkm you are wrong on so many levels.
First a number of my post have been feedback requested by Doug from Oceanic as feedback since I have been included as a BETA tester for quite some time.
As for the OP I've already stated my position on the requests and it seems I've gotten as many supporters as people trying to slam me for taking a negative position against the OP.
I for one think it is in Oceanic's interest to have both views.
Funny how you don't state whether you feel the feature ideas would actually be improvements. You just harp on me for taking an opposing view.
With 5 posts total and 2 in this forum since January it is clear that you are just a troll looking to create problems and not solve anything. I will put you on ignore as I'm sure may other will.
As for the OP or anyone else I welcome suggestions that will increase the functionality of the software but I don't want software that has functions that don't help display or organize the information in the software in a useful way for divers.

lol

Ignore me if you like, but your arrogance shines through. I guess it is easier to run and hide instead of admitting something to yourself. Oh well, no big loss.

I feel the need to apologize to the other people who use this forum. My comments are not made to slander and abuse, but when someone jumps on a poster for no real reason I thought it needed to step in and have a say. I apologize for any unease that it has caused.

lol

Ignore me if you like, but your arrogance shines through. I guess it is easier to run and hide instead of admitting something to yourself. Oh well, no big loss.

I feel the need to apologize to the other people who use this forum. My comments are not made to slander and abuse, but when someone jumps on a poster for no real reason I thought it needed to step in and have a say. I apologize for any unease that it has caused.

Maybe he is bit arrogant but he seems spot on with his accessment of the software, what the other posters in this thread asked for and the fact that Oceanic should be aware of opinions opposed to possible new features. For that matter he is probably correct about you being a troll too!:rofl3:

Isn't it good to have friends that stick up for you even when they know you are wrong.

I read quite a lot of threads in this forum and only post when I see fit, if that makes me a troll - then I will be trolling away.

For someone who can give out his bloated opinion and like to take hits at other posters, RA doesn't seem to like to take any in his direction. If he can attack the opinions of the OP and of myself, then he can also take them back. I guess not however, since I am 'ignored'. Even though I apologized for the events in the thread, guess who comes back with another user to keep the issue up. I even like how RA thanked you! Hilarious.

I still stand with what I originally said, that RA had no reason to attack the OP for his comments and thoughts on new features for Oceanlog.

Just because someone has 700 posts doesn't make them a good contributor.

I agree that the OP has a legitimate gripe, however minor it is. I don't find the interface that horrible, but for example the DAN bit would be a great addition. I don't think RA knows that DAN is doing PDE and if Oceanic would make their software compatible we could just email those logs to DAN without having to download software to do it.

Perhaps RA doesn't like to help DAN study diving and find ways to make it safer. I would and do think it's a worthy goal. I believe every dive computer maker who has software should make it compatible. It benefits us all and I'm hoping someday Oceanic will cooperate with them and make it easier to donate dive profiles.

Here's a link and what I think one of the suggestions was about.

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/research/projects/pde/participate.asp

It's a worthy goal.

I think the printouts are better but lacking still. There is no lifetime dive number on the printout, or at least I don't see it. Closer but no cigar.

For me, The PDE addition would be nice, and a customized printout would be at the top of my list.

I think RA is out of line, he himself has moaned and groaned about minor nits for as long as he's been here. He complains everywhere there is a forum for him to complain in when something doesn't suit him. Then he slams a member for disagreeing with him when he said it wasn't as complete as he'd like when RA thinks it is. I find that to be funny.

Wow cummings66,
First you don't need any extra addition to the software to email DAN your logs you can do it using your standard email client and DAN can make use of the data using Oceanlog or Excel they have been doing it for years.
You having fun with your slam? I find it amazing how you have been a member of Scubaboard since Jun of 2005 posted 1464 times and been thanked a whopping 3 times.
In comparison I joined the board in Jan of 2008 and in less than 700 post have been thanked 39 times and a few of those from the moderator of this forum and even in this thread.
Say what you will but that's a fact. Seems others find me helpful and knowledgeable. Others have even posted in this thread that they agree with me.
So you seem to have a problem with me. Too bad for you!

I enjoyed seeing the changes in the release of oceanlog v2.2.4. Could the interface be a bit more flashy? Very easily but would it make the program easier to use and more informative?

No program is 100% perfect and there can always be some improvement that can be made. But the most important thing is not to make changes for the sake of making changes... only if they add value to the program.

Honestly for me the ability to load the data onto my computer is a nice added bonus but is not an essential component. I bought the VT3 for under the water and as long as it performs i'll have no real beef with them.

The one place I see room for further improvement is printouts. I'd like to see the printouts have more user choice over what fields get printed and the layout. Instead of bloating the software I'd rather have a second version I could run on a smartphone or PDA and sync with my PC after trips.

Now there are some quality ideas....
On the whole print out theme....wouldn't it be nice if you could upload your dive data into Oceanlog and have it print the dive profile out as a "dive log"? you know so you can continually keep adding new pages to your log book without buying new books and have the layout all perfect.

Oh and with smart phones like the iphone and others.... it would be great if oceanlog could be totally mobile? I mean i have it installed on my laptop but i don't take that away with me when i go diving. But your mobile phone is generally always on you.

The DAN integration is a nice to have but having said that, it is a worthwhile addition. If through my diving, i can possibly make diving safer for others.... i'm all for it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom