Oceanreef vs OTS Full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any other pertinent information you think would be helpful.

tbone made a significant point - answer the reason why? After getting a FFM I dived it all the time. Now, it is only used for PSD, ice diving, or training. It has its purposes, but they are limited; at least in my case.

As to which is better - that is very subjective with no right or wrong answers. A better question is the ability to add accessories (lights, cameras, etc). Brian at Hickory Scuba is a good resource. I've spoken with him and he is a decent guy.

I will try to address SOME of your questions, regarding the two brands. I think you have already gotten some good responses to some of your broader questions about FFMs in general. By way of background: I own and dive an OR Predator (which is part of their commercial line, so perhaps not an ideal comparison with their recreational masks), and I own and dive an OTS Guardian. I initially trained on the Guardian - not so much because I was specifically interested in FFMs, as the fact that a fellow Instructor (who was/is a regular FFM diver) has just become credentialed as a FFM instructor, and i was his first student - a guinea pig, in the most positive sense. Later, I similarly served as a student for another fellow instructor (newly minted) who had become credentialed with Ocean Reef FFMs. The bottom line - I became a FFM diver, later instructor, not because of an initial 'burning desire' to dive a FFM. But, I now very much enjoy diving them. There are times when I particularly like and value the communications options that FFMs offer (It is easier than writing messages in my Wet notes, or trying to come up with hand signals for unusual situations). In cold water, I also like a FFM.

All that said, I am BY NO MEANS an expert on the diversity of products in the two brand lines. I can share my personal experience with two models, and with the companies, as a customer. I make no claim, or offer any exculpatory caveat, to being a fanboy of either brand line.

I’m looking for some “real” user stories. Things I’m interested in are:

Mask fog (which is best)

I don't see any difference in fogging potential between my OR and my OTS - it is virtually non-existent with both.

Air usage (does air usage decrease with a mask or increase)

I use more air with a FFM. Not a huge amount more, but a bit. It is inconsequential as far as I am concerned. Others may have different opinions.

Which brand has more upgrades available

My question would be, what 'upgrades' are you looking for? Both mask lines offer communications, which is why some / many people prefer FFMs. In the product lines, I think both offer a variety of options, across a cost spectrum. If you look at the OR website, they refer to numerous 'upgrades'. Most of these are standard fare (swivel connectors, lights, etc.). The 'Extender' option in the OR line is nice. I haven't extended my Predator so I cannot comment on its utility. (I want to minimize the positive buoyancy of my FFMs).

Customer service

In my, possibly limited, experience, I have found OTS to be considerably more responsive to inquiries than Ocean Reef.

Which model is the best

The answer is, 'It depends' - on what you want. In the OTS line, the Guardian is the most popular / commonly encountered. I have yet to meet a single diver - who is actually using one - who has anything but good things to say about their Guardian. Maybe others have a different experience. I do know that a number of PSD teams in my area (VA) use and prefer the Guardian, for whatever that is worth. In the OR line, the closest equivalent (now) is probably the GDIVERS unit. OTS fans may argue that it is not as good as the Guardian. But, the next step up in the OR line (their commercial masks) are not comparable (I think they are somewhat better than the Guardian). OTS offers an interesting options for those who want to try a FFM, without excessive initial investment - the Spectrum, which is essentially sort of a FFM, but you can use your own regulator second stage with it. Neat idea, but I haven't dove one yet, so I can't comment on it.

Between my Predator and my Guardian, I slightly prefer the Predator, simply because of the quality of the second stage. From a pricing standpoint, the Guardian is somewhat less expensive and may be a more affordable entry. I don't know anything about the retail pricing of the recreational OR masks (GDIVER).

I don't know if this helps or not. Others, who have experience with products in both lines, may have different experiences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom