OCS vs VT 4.1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devin Long

Registered
Reaction score
I am buying our first set of scuba gear for both my wife and I. right now I am looking at computers and have narrowed down to the OCS and VT 4.1. I chose Oceanic bc of the more liberal dive algorithims, and narrowed it down to these two based on budget.

the OCS is $499, no pc interface cable. the VT 4.1 is $625, and includes transmitter and pc interface cable. Both DC's are new.

Right now I am leaning more towards the VT 4.1. Bigger screen, AI means one less hose to travel with. (My wife and I will be doing all our diving together, so if one computer was to malfunction it would not be a game ender. plan on keeping a backup SPG in our dive kit as well if we go with the this option)

VT 4.1 seems like the better value to me even though it is a bit more expensive.

Would like to hear from people that own these computers and get recommendations or advice on anything I may be missing from either of them. Thank you!

Prepare for the onslaught of "AI is worthless" experts.

I'm doing the same shopping as you right now. If I were spending $499, I would get the Hollis TX-1 without transmitter (which you could add later), or spend $750 to get it with transmitter. Hollis is Oceanic's more upscale line.

Last edited:
...My wife and I will be doing all our diving together, so if one computer was to malfunction it would not be a game ender. plan on keeping a backup SPG in our dive kit as well if we go with the this option...

Just be aware that yours and your wife's dive profiles will not be the same, in fact can vary quite a bit, this will be more evident on deeper and repetitive dives. I see this with my wife's and my profiles, I tend to dive just a bit deeper and when we are close to NDL there can be a few minutes difference. Will you both dive with the same factors?

If you plan to do repetitive dives the back-up DC being in the kit bag is not that useful as it will not have your residual Nitrogen or O2 if you are on nitrox.

Regarding the "more liberal dive algorithms", just because the computer does not get to a deco obligation does not mean you are safer, irrespective of your computer your body will still react the same to the ambient conditions. Is your wife aware and in agreement with this, aware of setting for person factors?

Regarding the choice of computer, the $200 options will do all that most recreational divers need. My family (6 of us) all use Mares Puck, console or wrist, they work just fine on air and Nitrox.

If you are buying for your wife, what does she think of the options, ease of use size of screen does she care about AI and wireless AI? For my wife it had to be very easy to use and have an easy to read and understand screen. We did the on-line training for the computer to ensure we were satisfied.

Thanks for all the input, I decided to go with the Hollis TX1. Dive gear express 499 for each computer and 239 for each transmitter since I bought two. By far the cheapest anyone else was selling for. Assuming it does not break should last us a very long time. From what I can tell this is a fairly new computer to the market, I have not found an online class or am i just completely missing an obvious site for it?

Also bought an Oceanic BUD to keep clipped to my gear as a backup on all dives in case one of TX1's decides to take a dump. Also will be keeping one analog SPG in dive gear bag in case a transmitter breaks. I know this goes against alot of peoples philosophies on here, but It is what we are comfortable with as casual rec divers. We like idea of less hoses and less to carry traveling.

Now just the waiting game for all me gear to get here. Look forward to using it all and posting user reports on here.

FYI, for anyone else that cares. The Hollis TX1 and VT 4.1 are pretty much the same hardware. The major differences is in the algorithms (Buhman vs PZ+). The transmitters should be interchangeable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom