Octo for Atomic B2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyKSue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need advice from folks who are more knowledgable that I am~

I just purchased an Atomic B2 reg (1st and second stage)- it did not come with an octo -
I have a Tusa octo SS-350 from my Dad's old set up - Will that work?
I was told by my LDS that it might not work because the reg I just bought is high pressure and that Tusa octo is only for low pressure and might free flow the whole dive and I would not be able to stop the free flow! Is that true?
I found a used Atomic Z2 for sale - Would that one work with my Atomic B2 set up?

technically we aren't allowed to comment on other manufacturers in a manufacturer subforum so hopefully the mods move it. Atomic doesn't really have a presence on here anyway so it shouldn't matter.

Now, no offense. Whoever at your LDS told you that is a moron because it is 100% unequivocally untrue. You should be able to adjust it to get it to work with minimal effort *read, no more than it would to get it to behave properly on the first stage the tusa came with*.
I HIGHLY recommend finding another LDS. I recommend Dive Addicts, the Thorntons are legit.

The Z2 will not behave any better per se than the Tusa, but then you'll at least have a matching regulator set and is what i would personally do

It'll work fine. You got it, put it on and try it.
Your LDS either needs and education in how regs work, or is trying to get you to spend $$.

technically we aren't allowed to comment on other manufacturers in a manufacturer subforum so hopefully the mods move it. Atomic doesn't really have a presence on here anyway so it shouldn't matter.

Now, no offense. Whoever at your LDS told you that is a moron because it is 100% unequivocally untrue. You should be able to adjust it to get it to work with minimal effort *read, no more than it would to get it to behave properly on the first stage the tusa came with*.
I HIGHLY recommend finding another LDS. I recommend Dive Addicts, the Thorntons are legit.

The Z2 will not behave any better per se than the Tusa, but then you'll at least have a matching regulator set and is what i would personally do
UMMMM~ Dive Addicts IS the LDS that told me this ! :-(
It wasn't Josh but was one of the other guys working there!

All regulators take tank pressure and bring it down to an intermediate pressure (IP), about 135-145psi (there are a few rare exceptions). 2nd stages are balanced against this IP. You can pretty much just mix and match at will as long as the individual components are working and tuned appropriately.
YOU need to know this, as does the person that told you otherwise.

UMMMM~ Dive Addicts IS the LDS that told me this ! :-( It wasn't Josh but was one of the other guys working there!

I am rather surprised by that. But maybe they were trying to convince you to buy an AA octo. Especially if you just bought the B2 new. T-Bone's advise was spot on. I would go ahead an put the AA octo on so that both second stages are they same as down the road it will make it easier service wise.

FWIW I run AA regs and do my own servicing (in fact one of the former tech at Dive Addicts helped me along). If you want a primer on checking things out send me a PM. We can toss everything on my bench and see what they are doing.

Just because they work at a store don't assume they know what they're talking about. I once listened to a salesman tell a customer something that was completely wrong at my LDS - I waited till he left b4 I told the customer the real story.

Either will work, the Z2 advantage as mentioned is both can be serviced at any Atomic dealer. Octo's aren't rocket science but since you have the option, I would get it also. I have a Z1 on my T2 and it works fine - in fact the breathing on all Atomic 2nds is the same just the materials are different.

All regulators take tank pressure and bring it down to an intermediate pressure (IP), about 135-145psi (there are a few rare exceptions). 2nd stages are balanced against this IP. You can pretty much just mix and match at will as long as the individual components are working and tuned appropriately.
YOU need to know this, as does the person that told you otherwise.
You are right. I DO need to know this. There is a LOT of information I should probably know but don't so am glad that you and others here are willing to help me learn- I do appreciate it . Thank you!

I am rather surprised by that. But maybe they were trying to convince you to buy an AA octo. Especially if you just bought the B2 new. T-Bone's advise was spot on. I would go ahead an put the AA octo on so that both second stages are they same as down the road it will make it easier service wise.

FWIW I run AA regs and do my own servicing (in fact one of the former tech at Dive Addicts helped me along). If you want a primer on checking things out send me a PM. We can toss everything on my bench and see what they are doing.
Thank you! I am taking yours, T-bones and diversteve's advise and am purchasing the Z2 -
I appreciate all of you sharing your knowledge and opinions with me!

SaltyKSue -

We apologize that incorrect information may have been relayed to you by one of our staff. We do our best to keep all employees trained and up to date with various equipment, and this will be a great topic for our next training meeting! This way we can make sure the entire Dive Addicts staff is clear on 1) the specs and requirements of various second stages (including octos) and 2) how to properly communicate this information to our valued customers.

As has been stated above, there should be no issue tuning your Tusa octo to work with the B2 first stage. That being said, we also agree that there are some advantages to choosing an Atomic octo as well (we love the SS1 for an integrated octo, or any of the Atomic second stages for a standard octo).

Feel free to give us a call (801-572-5111) or stop by and we'll make sure you are taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom