Octo-Z Question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Gonz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Scott, I have gotten things underway through my LDS to FINALLY get a Ranger. I am going with the Octo-Z, but am curious as to how it holds up in the cold. I was diving with a Scubapro S600 and had it freeze up on me this weekend and go all free flow on me. I was checking out the Flathead/Z combo as it appears to be your cold water reg and was curious if that Octo will hold up to water in the 40s. I know it is an in case of emergency tool, but would like to know if it is a good secondary choice. I prefer the air2 setup over the octo setup anyway.

We were at like 43-44 in the quarry on Saturday...7mil.:D I lasted about 12 minutes before the S600 started trickling on me.

Scott, I have gotten things underway through my LDS to FINALLY get a Ranger. I am going with the Octo-Z, but am curious as to how it holds up in the cold. I was diving with a Scubapro S600 and had it freeze up on me this weekend and go all free flow on me. I was checking out the Flathead/Z combo as it appears to be your cold water reg and was curious if that Octo will hold up to water in the 40s. I know it is an in case of emergency tool, but would like to know if it is a good secondary choice. I prefer the air2 setup over the octo setup anyway.

The Z octopus would be my choice as a cold water octopus.

As for the Octo-Z, if you are using it in water temps in the mid to high 40's, I think it would be ok...but if you were using it in the low 40's I would probably steer away, simply because if you were to have to use it to breathe on AND inflate your BC at the same time, the amount of cold air entering the reg might be too much.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks!

Scott

The Z octopus would be my choice as a cold water octopus.

As for the Octo-Z, if you are using it in water temps in the mid to high 40's, I think it would be ok...but if you were using it in the low 40's I would probably steer away, simply because if you were to have to use it to breathe on AND inflate your BC at the same time, the amount of cold air entering the reg might be too much.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks!

Scott

I'm not planning any cold water dives (yet) but am curious as to the recommended temp range for the Octo-Z.There is a warning in the owners manual mentioning "diving under ice" and being "qualified and properly equipped",but no mention of a temp range.
Your post suggests 45 and up.Is 45 a good minimum?

Gonz,
What Scott says above applies to any octo-inflator regardless of brand. That is one reason (there are others) that one virtually never sees an octo-inflator in use by an experienced cold water diver.

I'm not planning any cold water dives (yet) but am curious as to the recommended temp range for the Octo-Z.There is a warning in the owners manual mentioning "diving under ice" and being "qualified and properly equipped",but no mention of a temp range.
Your post suggests 45 and up.Is 45 a good minimum?

According to Jim Fox, who knows 100 times more than I do about regs, over 45 degrees should be fine...

Gonz,
What Scott says above applies to any octo-inflator regardless of brand. That is one reason (there are others) that one virtually never sees an octo-inflator in use by an experienced cold water diver.

True...this isn't just a "Zeagle thing" - it;s an "alternate air source in general" thing. Thanks for pointing that out, Keys!!!

Scott

Thanks guys! I am still cutting my gills, so to speak, so ANY information is useful information to me. The water was cold, but I adapted to it easily in a 7mil, so I am not put off on cold water, but I want the best equipment I can take down with me. It is my life at risk, after all, so why not take down the best stuff. *cough*soldonZeagle*cough*
(My LDS owner doesn't like it, but Scubapro is not blowing my doors off.)

Back
Top Bottom