October 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: Oct. 23, 2004
Dive Location: Farnsworth Bank
Time: 11:33AM
Bottom Time: 23:00
Max Depth: 85 ft.
Vis: 40 ft
Temp: 62
Wave height: 2 foot swells

Went out on the Sea Bass with my group from Burbank's Aqua Adventures Unlimited. We gambled on trying Farnsworth this late in the season and it paid off. Seas were smooth and there was virtually no current. Viz was 40+ and the bait fish were so thick you could barely see the sun through them. We had a crowd of 8 or so sea lions with us who were very friendly. It was my first dive at Farnsworth and I loved it. I'll be back.

divebuddysean:
Date: Oct. 23, 2004
Dive Location: La Jolla Shores, North Wall
Time: 08:15
Bottom Time: 34:00
Max Depth: 95 ft.
Vis: 20-50 ft
Wave height: 1 foot
Temp at depth: 63 degrees
Comments: I really ejoyed this dive and look forward to more exploration with the depth finder!

Pics: http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/shores10232004

Sean, this depth finder sounds cool! How much do they cost, and did you get in on-line, at a LDS, or neither? do you know how accurate they are?
Scott

I bought my depth finder online at a hunting store. Here is a link to the same product at another store plus a link to a reconditioned model direct from the Vexilar factory for 89.99 or new for 119.99

http://www.bobbershopfishing.com/electronics/vexilar/LPS1.html
http://www.vexilar.com/purchase/direct/outlet.html (LPS1 model)

I think the finder is probably pretty accurate, but you have to point the finder straight down or you'll get a higher or lower reading. On the package it has a picture of a diver pointing the finder straight ahead to determine distance so maybe it would have some other uses as well. It goes down to 200 feet. I'll show it to you at the Wrinkle's Dive!

Sean

Date: 23 OCt 04
Dive Location: Malaga Cove
Time: 7:00 PM
Bottom Time: 66:20
Max Depth: 22 FSW
Vis: Incredible 30 feet or so Crystal clear water
Wave height: 6 inches maybe less
Temp at depth: 66 Suunto Degrees
Surface Temp:66 Suunto Degrees
Tide information: High 7:44 PM 5.3 feet
Comments:
Rock entry south of the pool at the end of the pavement. High tide. Dropped down into the Kelp Grass to look for lobster. Kelp grass was long and thick. Between the very slight surge and the tall kelp grass could not see much of anything. Tough to get dive light through the kelp grass. Grabbed at a few bugs, but misjudged them as they were not on solid foundation and when I grabbed they were not pinned as I was too high up to get them all the way down. Note to self when bug hunting go 2 pounds heavy. Caught 3, all shorts, by a hair.

Swam out to deeper water looking for less kelp grass and serge, and more interesting dive. Found more interesting dive and less bugs. Grabbed 3, all short. Spotted a Giant Kelp fish and octopus. Terrific visibility and no real waves. Surge was limited to the 12 foot or less depth range. Two other divers came up about the same time, the too caught only shorts so we all came home empty handed.

The bottom line, it was a very nice dive, with crystal clear water. If you are not diving today, well, rain is in the forecast as possible Monday so what are you waiting for?

Date: Saturday, Oct. 23, 2004
Dive Location: Diver's Cove/Fisherman's Cove
Time: 9:53 am
Bottom Time: 49:00
Max Depth: 38 ft.
Vis: 10-15 ft.
Wave height: Lake Laguna, occasional 2-3 footer
Surface Temp:66 degrees water, 66 degrees air
Tide information: High +5ft, going low

Date: Saturday, Oct. 23, 2004
Dive Location: Diver's Cove/Fisherman's Cove
Time: 1:29 pm
Bottom Time: 47:10
Max Depth: 37 ft.
Vis: 10 ft.; very murky in spots
Wave height: Lake Laguna, occasional 2-3 footer
Surface Temp:66 degrees water, 68 degrees air
Tide information: Low, +2 ft.
Comments:
Arrived at Diver's at around 8:15am, and pulled into a metered spot right next to the stairs. Note: there were available spots the entire day, especially if you didn't mind paying 25 cents per 15 minutes. Myrna and her daughter and I scouted out Fisherman's, Diver's, and walked around Heisler a bit. Found the nearby restroom at Heisler. Sweet. The weather was gorgeous. Waves were ankle slappers, with the occasional 2-3 footer. Headhunter pulled up, then quickly found a free parking spot across the street. We did a walking tour of Diver's and Fisherman's, and tried to figure out the layout of the common reef relative to the Sheckler's map. Decided to take previous advice and enter at Fisherman's, then follow the reef around to Diver's. After contemplating the surf, we considered calling the dive, but decided we were tough enough to handle the waves. (That was facetious, by the way). Asked some of the other divers if they were Otter, and they said no, but they knew who he was. Then we suited up and went for the gusto. I was in the driver's seat on this one, which Headhunter would later come to regret. We walked into the lake near the boats, kicked out a bit, and dropped down into less than 10ft. of murky water. We headed southeast and caught the reef. We were on the lookout for the Mermaid's Grotto on our left, but didn't see it. Visibility improved a bit. I was hoping to keep the well defined reef our our left the entire way, but we came to learn later that the reef wasn't nearly as well defined as I had hoped. Anyway, we got out to the tip of the reef at around 35 ft., where it became very brown and murky, with a lot of surge. Passed by the remnants of a scotch bottle. As we rounded the tip of the reef I figured we'd see the "mini wall", but that didn't happen. I did find a golf ball though, and after a bit of exploring the reef decided to leave it sitting on top of the sand, and continued diving. I figured we were heading in the right direction, but after a few more minutes guess what we found...A golf ball sitting on top of the sand. Bummer. Actually I MEANT to leave it as a marker...yeah, that's right. At this point I realized that this reef wasn't as nice and clearly defined as Crescent Bay, and things deteriorated navigation-wise from there. Anyway, we wandered around a bit more (I'm sure Headhunter was chuckling as I led us around in circles), and finally decided that since we were on top of a reef that was getting shallower and shallower we'd surface and see where we were. We found out we were over on the Fisherman's side of the reef, and decided to drop down and head directly across the reef to Diver's. Headed almost due East in 10-15 ft., and finally decided to surface and swim in. When we got to the surface we realized that due to the fact we are such strong, macho swimmers we were past the Diver's stairs and over towards Heisler by about 50 yards. I told Myrna and her daughter that it was intentional. Neither believed it. Also, Headhunter told a major film star how screwed up my navigation was, so now you'll be able to read about it in the Star.

Anyway, after a 2 hour + surface interval, we decided it would be best for both of us if Headhunter did the navigation. We entered at the Diver's Cove stairs, and kicked out to be in line with the rocks breaking the surface (which I assumed marked the end of the reef). Dropped down, and headed West across the sand to hit the reef. Viz had deteriorated substantially due to the tide going out. In no time we finally found the Mermaid's Grotto, and it was VERY cool. Did some exploring, went over to Fisherman's, turned around, went around the end of the reef, and saw the same scotch bottle. Something about the surge and not having a good handle on location makes me swim harder and suck more air, and Headhunter had to throttle me back. We had been matching each other in air consumption, until the tail end of the dive when I turned on the jets. When I got around 700psi I thumbed the dive, we did our safety stop by bounciing up and down +/- 5 feet, bumping into each other, and finally surfaced about where we had dropped down.

Anway, it was a great dive, viz wasn't all that great and it was a bit surgy, but we made a day of it, and it was just a spectacular beach day. There were very few people at the beach, and we had the place to ourselves all day. Myrna and her daughter had fun snorkeling, too. Very cool. And after a decontamination shower and some rubbing alcohol eardrops we're doing fine.

By the way, I'd love to find a good map of the reef area between Diver's and Fisherman's, other than the Sheckler's map. I found out there are at least two versions of the Sheckler's map. The one in the book shows an entrance to the grotto on the west side, the other (website: http://www.saintbrendan.com/cdnjuly02/Fishermans.html) shows there isn't one. Also, I may have been fooled by thinking that the rocks that break the surface over towards Fisherman's are the tip of the reef. Shecklers seems to indicate that the reef goes out much further than that.

Date:10/24
Dive Location:Brooks St., Laguna Beeaatch!
Time:7:30 A.M.
Bottom Time:40 min
Max Depth:66'
Vis:10-15+/-5'
Wave height:0-2'
Temp at depth:64 degrees
Surface Temp:65 degrees
Tide information:nearest high (5.75) at 8:something
Comments: Dove Brooks St. under Lake Laguna conditions. After a HUGE surface swim, we dropped into 30fsw and explored a small reef and numerous patch reef formations. Saw tons of crowded lobster traps an octo hiding in his little hole and a 3' Black Sea Bass (WOW!) Popped up for a long surface swim in and a feeling that I would have a parking ticket waiting for me at my car. No ticket, but still a long swim.
Good diving!
Robert

Ross, Beth, Coralcuts and I went to the infamous Secret Spot and had two great dives. On dive one we saw a few very large bugs, too far to grab, a three foot halibut, large Sheephead and a sandbass the size of a small Black Seabass. On dive two, we had even more fun. I caught three bugs, including the two biggest I've ever caught. They weighed in at 6 and 6 1/2 pounds. They were mini-me bugs compared to Susan's. All I can say is, it's a good thing she uses a large game bag. As we arrived back at Cabrillo Marina we were treated to a fireboat display. Another great day of diving. Thanks again to Ross and Beth for the ride.

mccabejc:
By the way, I'd love to find a good map of the reef area between Diver's and Fisherman's, other than the Sheckler's map. I found out there are at least two versions of the Sheckler's map. The one in the book shows an entrance to the grotto on the west side, the other (website: http://www.saintbrendan.com/cdnjuly02/Fishermans.html) shows there isn't one. Also, I may have been fooled by thinking that the rocks that break the surface over towards Fisherman's are the tip of the reef. Shecklers seems to indicate that the reef goes out much further than that.
Nice account of our little adventure Jim!

The map you had in your book shows a west entrance. No wonder we never found it and "ran out of crack" when we tried what we "thought" was the west entrance. That map you posted looked a bit more like what we found.

Now we'll have to try the next site down the road on our quest to do them all! :crafty:

Christian

John, Sean, Bill, Tanneka and I met at Dana Landing and went diving.

First dive at Three Fingers.
Second at Ingram Street Bridge.

Water was warmer than the last time out and visibility was good if a little milky. Both dives around 45 minutes at depths of 50-75ft. No surge, miniscule surface swell.

Here are the pictures.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/Pange Dives 1024/

TS

Buddy had seen a giant black seabass at Malibu Friday, so we returned to the scene to look for him. Sure enough midway through the dive he showed up, but only briefly. Surf 1-2 ft, vis 15-20 ft, time 62:40, max depth 37 ft, temps 64 F at depth, 66 F end. Also three abalones, halibut, barracuda school, large bait school, ray. During the surface swim back to shore, kept company by nearby dive-bombing pelicans and lounging dolphins.

Drove to another beach for another dive -- shallow, short, uneventful. Highlight was barracuda feeding on baitfish school.

Back
Top Bottom