October 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date:10/24
Dive Location:Redondo Beach Submarine Canyon
Time: 8:03 A.M.
Bottom Time:61 min
Max Depth: 88'
Vis: 20-25 feet
Wave height: 0-1'
Temp at depth:not too cold

My first time at the submarine canyon, this is a cool place! I heard it's great at night, but I loved being able to see all around. Saw NONE of the usual suspects, however: several sarcastic fringehead who all came out to play, many horn sharks, uncountable numbers of flat-fish, a couple octopus, sea pens, sand dollars, a thornback ray and 6-7 different species of the coolest crabs around made it an exciting dive. Aerodog, thanks for joining me. Other people reported schools of squid at deeper depth (140).

Date:10/24
Dive Location:Malaga Cove, Palos Verdes
Time: 11:29 AM
Bottom Time: 92 min
Max Depth: 34'
Vis: 15-20+ feet
Wave height: 1-2'
Temp at depth:cozy

Dropped right into the lair of a nice-size moray eel, a very rare treat for LA county. he was healthy, happy, extremely clean (due to his numerous shrimp roommates), and was expecting to be fed, but I didn't have anything he liked. The usual suspects followed me en-masse through some of the dive, someone's been feeding them too. Many juveniles out today (garibaldi, kelp bass, senorita's, blacksmith), it was nice seeing the kids. The downside of the dive was that I saw a couple spearfishers return with several large sheephead, a couple males I think. Breeders are getting rare, and I don't see how people get off killing these beautiful fish. Needless to say I didn't see many sheephead on my dive.

Scott

Date: 10/24/2004
Site Name: Three Fingers Reef
Time: 8:54
Max Depth: 75 feet
Bottom Time: 46:20
Vis: 30 feet plus
Wave Height: 1 foot
Temp: 63 degrees
Comments: Motered out from Dana Landing to Three Fingers Reef. The ocean was glassy and the sun was shining. Swells were small and the ride was quite nice. The dive site was amazing with life everywhere. The water was warm and I noticed no current. I was the 1st back to the boat and I saw a baby grey whale pass by. Of course nobody else saw it! An amazing site I plan to dive many more times.

My pictures: http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/3fingerrockpile10242004

Here is CA Diving News site info:
http://www.saintbrendan.com/cdnmay01/fingers5.html

Site Name: Ingraham Bridge
Time: 11:01
Max Depth: 68 feet
Bottom Time: 43:40
Vis: 15 feet
Wave Height: 1 foot
Comments: The Ingraham Bridge is a bunch of concrete blocks dropped in the ocean to form some shelter for critters. The site was very grown out with red gorgonians all over the place. A few lobsters were visible with a lot of Spanish Shawls and Painted Greenlings, rockfish, surfperch, and more.

Same album for the pics: http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/3fingerrockpile10242004

Terry has an album from the same sites which you can access here: http://photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/Pange Dives 1024/

Sean

Date: 10/25/2004
Site Name: Sequit Point
Time: 10:08AM
Max Depth: 35 feet
Bottom Time: 70:10
Vis: 15-20 feet; slight surge
Wave Height: 1 foot, very calm!

Mgmonk and I had an easy entry in the cove at the bottom of the stairs east of lifeguard station #3. From there we headed straight out south. First we had to maneuver through a large, spread out school of clear box jellies. Luckily, no stings to the face.
http://jellieszone.com/cubozoa.htm

We saw the usual suspects, and also spanish shawl, lemon nudibranch, a large octopus, a fiery red scorpionfish, an old treefish, and oh, I almost forget, a 5ft blue shark circled around us, and passed right between us, passing within a few feet of me. Good thing the water was clear and he could see we weren't food!
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/BlueShark/BlueShark.html

All around an excellent dive.

Scott

Don't forget the octopus. That's 2 times in 2 dives.

and...
I lost my knife. Pulled it out to bang on my tank. Trying to get Scott's attention as a fairly large sheepshead (make) passed by. Guess I didn't put my knife back all the way. Hmm

Great dive, though.
Nice and long.

Date: 25 Oct 04
Dive Location: Deadman’s Reef Laguna Beach
Time:9:58 PM
Bottom Time: 42:50
Max Depth:45
Vis: 20
Wave height: 1 -2 ft
Temp at depth: 66 SUUNTO Degrees
Surface Temp:n 64 Suunto degrees
Tide information: High 8:29 PM 5.01 Feet Low Tide 02:28 AM 26 Oct 0.51 feet
Comments:
Arrived at the dive site and parked next to the South Entrance sign. Went down to the beach to check conditions and had a nice chat with a DFG Officer who came back to my car to check my license as I was going hunting. I think he was looking for Whalerkyle. :11:

By the way, since they switched to a combined licensed for both ocean and fresh water there has been a lot of talk about the requirement for the ocean enhancement stamp to go lobstering. ON serveral dives I have been on the other divers did not have the stamp and thought the no longer needed it with the combined Fresh/Ocean license. So I asked the DFG Officer. He put it this way, South of point something or other( I don't recall where he said but we are south of there) you need the ocean enhancement stamp if you are taking game out of the ocean. He does not agree it is right as it should only be for fin fish, but that is the rules. So if you are bug hunting and there is no ocean enhancement stamp of the back of your license, you may get a ticket.

Surface swim out to the reef. We had left Green and Red makrer lights on the cliff so we could maintain a straight line. When we figured we were there, DiveBuddySean checked the depth with his handy depth finder. 45 feet, 45 feet, 43 feet , 42 feet. Sweet, were were right there. Dropped down right on it at the base of it.

Proceeded to do a lobster hunt and also to enjoy the usual suspects. I quickly found a dive marker light and a small blinking light, both still on. Pulled a bug out of a hole, for those keeping score that is number 2. Found a glory hole, but a nearby eel put the kibosh on my plans to invite the occupants home for dinner. Still one is better than none. On the swim back in I found a dive knife in 8 feet of water. On the beach, we checked our gear and discovered Divebuddysean was missing his tank light, small blinking light and his dive knife, all of which I had. A great dive with great dive buddies.

pasley:
Date: 25 Oct 04
Pulled a bug out of a hole, for those keeping score that is number 2. On the swim back in I found a dive knife in 8 feet of water. On the beach, we checked our gear and discovered Divebuddysean was missing his tank light, small blinking light and his dive knife, all of which I had. .

Melvin, nice job! You seem to be getting better with the lobster. Also, my last 2 dive buddies have both lost writing tablets when diving with me at marineland, and also a lost knife at Leo; do you have to dive those 2 sites and retrieve the said items?
Scott

pasley:
On the beach, we checked our gear and discovered Divebuddysean was missing his tank light, small blinking light and his dive knife, all of which I had. A great dive with great dive buddies.

Sean, You have a heck of time keeping your knives!! Glad you found this one. Now we just have to go back to Three Fingers and find the other one.

Terry

Yeah I was happy to have Melvin find them for me. I did offer him some swim goggles or some sunglasses we found at "the dump" at LJS but he declined! Thanks for the help Melvin! May your lunch be the best ever!

divinman:
John, Sean, Bill, Tanneka and I met at Dana Landing and went diving.

First dive at Three Fingers.
Second at Ingram Street Bridge.

Water was warmer than the last time out and visibility was good if a little milky. Both dives around 45 minutes at depths of 50-75ft. No surge, miniscule surface swell.

Here are the pictures.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/Pange Dives 1024/

TS

Those pictures are incredible...........how do you do it???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom