October - Dumaguete v Palawan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. You can buy both PR and 5J tickets on line. There is no need to rely on any TA.
2. 5J still has return ticket available to both Coron and Dumaguete 01 -05 Oct.
3. Contact Gunter at Discovery Divers or Andy at Sangat Island Resort if you are interested in Coron. They both have over 20 yrs diving experience in Coron.
4. Two completely different diving destinations. You definitely have more diving time in Dumaguete than Coron. Unless they have built a new airport in Coron otherwise it is another hr drive to the town on a jeepney. Finally, turbopro plane is used to serve between Manila and Coron so there is restriction on check in luggage allowance(20kg max).

---------- Post added September 4th, 2014 at 03:17 PM ----------

Please check the location of these three places relative to the wrecks!!!! Unless you are only interested to dive Kyokuzan Maru which is one of the best in Coron but how about ther others eg. Irako, Arkitsushima etc etc. Would you like to spend couple of hrs everyday to commute between the wrecks and the resort?
Take a look at these two places:
www.ddivers.com
www.sangat.com.ph
Have fun

Last edited:
Reactions: pin
With three full days in Coron, you should be able see all 6 big wrecks easily. Although, that is only checking them off the list and not really seeing them. Barracuda Lake is a fun dive. It is a freshwater layer that sits on top of a saltwater layer. The lake is also on top of a geothermal vent. the freshwater layer is 31C and when you descend down to 18 meters, it is 38C. Like a hot bath.

The average price for an aircon room in Coron town is 2000 pesos. I have found Coron Ecolodge to be good value for money. I have had guests that were happy with Islands View Inn. For fancier digs, Corto Del Mar is nice. They also have a really good restaurant. Coron Westtown is nice as well, but a few minutes outside of town. Several diveshops in town to cater to you as well.

I obviously still have not sorted out this trip (damn work gets in the way of play).

I'm not sure about either place now, but am keen on going to the Phils for diving in October (if possible). Where do you guys reckon would be the best for such a trip? I've already been to Bohol, Boracy and PG and am hoping to try somewhere new this time.

I do appreciate the question is quite general and would probably depend on what I'm after. In an ideal world I would be after ideal conditions, but have the feeling October may not be so good for the Phils. Would love to see some bigger life, like sharks and rays rather than macro, if that helps.

Malapascua!

Just looked into flights to Cebu to get there, obviously as I have left it so damn late, its not going to be cheap. I can go via Manila, but if I do go there it would just make sense to go via Cebu. Any suggestions for resorts if I do decide to go there?

At the moment it seems I'm leaving back towards Dumaguate, purely due to cost. The Azure resort is looking quote good.

Just looked into flights to Cebu to get there, obviously as I have left it so damn late, its not going to be cheap. I can go via Manila, but if I do go there it would just make sense to go via Cebu. Any suggestions for resorts if I do decide to go there?

At the moment it seems I'm leaving back towards Dumaguate, purely due to cost. The Azure resort is looking quote good.

Evolution in Malapascua.
Liquid in Dumaguete

Dear all

After all of that was able to book flights to Cebu and will be going to Malapascua, staying with Evolution.

Thanks very much for all your help guys.

Sorry - I do have a follow up query. May still go to Palawan in Xmas, but would be going with missus, who doesn't really dive. She is more about beach lazing. Coron good for that I presume? As I find a resort that will cater for her beach lazing, while I go diving.

Last edited:
Please give trip report upon return...I have heard great things about that region.

Dear all

After all of that was able to book flights to Cebu and will be going to Malapascua, staying with Evolution.

Thanks very much for all your help guys.

Sorry - I do have a follow up query. May still go to Palawan in Xmas, but would be going with missus, who doesn't really dive. She is more about beach lazing. Coron good for that I presume? As I find a resort that will cater for her beach lazing, while I go diving.
You will enjoy Malapascua with Evolution.
As for beach lazing and diving in Coron, the three places that your agent suggested may come handy.

Hello all.

Back from Malapascua last Sunday, just been slammed at work since I have been back. However I thought it would be useful to provide a brief summary. If I get time I will post something more detailed later today.

Firstly, many thanks to "Centrals" for the suggestions.

Evolution is one top notch operator. They have really got their stuff sorted out there. Didn't meet David Joyce, but did meet Matt (the other owner). From owner, through to dive guides, boat crews and restaurant staff, everyone was super helpful, friendly and professional. They seem to be pricier compared to other operators on the island, but I guess you get what you pay for.

Speaking of the island, its pretty small. Seems to be dominated by the dive operators and nothing much more else.

I went during the Chinese National Day holiday. IT WAS PACKED with mainland Chinese. Some of the dives was just overrun with divers as a result.

Diving was OK I would have to say. The Thresher shark dawn dives were early (duh) and packed. I reckon a few hundred divers. Did see the sharks, but sometimes was getting fins and other gear in your face.

Apart from the shark diving, lots of macro. I personally found places like Bohol better in terms of marine life. Also quite unsettling when diving was the sound of dynamite fishing going on. First couple of times freaked me out a bit.

Overall glad I went, but am not sure if I will be going back again......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom