October in eastern part of Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpyrosDives

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I’m planning to spend most of October solo in Indonesia and trying to figure out the best places for me.

Thinking of a liveaboard in the Banda Sea and then land-based in homestays in Raja Ampat. Thoughts?

Any reviews on the Oceanic for the Banda Sea? They have a ten-night itinerary.
Any reviews on how good the land-based diving is in Raja Ampat? Is it going to be super-lonely staying in a homestay as a solo traveler?
Should I also go to Sulawesi?
Is it reasonable to just show up and try to book last-minute? I’ll bring my own gear.
Other suggestions?

I don’t mind currents (assuming reasonable safety standards of course) and I’d take interesting experiences over luxury.

Concerning homestays in Raja Ampat have a look at their association home page: Raja Ampat Homestays: What are they like and are they for you?
Plenty of good info to see and decide yourself whether homestays would cover your needs or not.

There are several homestays and a couple of resorts (eg Papua Explorers and Papua Diving) around the islands Gam, Kri and Mansuar that dive several famous spots of the region (Blue Magic, Cape Kri, Sardine Reef etc)

October I think is quite busy month so I guess that you won't be so lonely especially on homestays catering divers. If you want to be lonely there are numerous homestays further out, but they don't do diving.

I did stay solo for diving in a homestay last February for a week. Amazing experience! Diving was excellent and in one week I met numerous amazing creatures both underwater and topside (fellow divers)! It was so nice that I am going back for 2 weeks in November, this time one week with my non-diving family (wife and 2 kids 3 and 5yo) and another week solo.

Keep in mind that several people in this forum wouldn't dive with homestay operators for safety reasons (very far from any western standard hospitalization, no radio, limited or no oxygen supply, no plbs etc). It's a long discussion. My experience was this: The guides there dive these waters every single day with numerous visitors and diving is their only income for life. Hence they are very careful with their lives, visitors and and their reputation. Also they are very knowledgeable of local conditions since they dive the same let's say 10 spots daily year around. If the conditions (currents etc) are not perfect in a site they move on to the next one. We never went even close to NDL (anyway a lot of things going on shallow and they only do 2 - 3 dives a day), max 3-4 divers per guide and minimum 2 guides per dive etc.

Get informed, think about it and make your decision.

Good luck

@stepfen Wow you taking your 3 & 5 year olds to stay in a RA homestay!
You are a brave brave man!! I'm surprised your non-diving wife agree to that!
Would love to hear how the adventure goes. I am in the same boat as you and with a 3 & 5 year old, so I am always looking for new adventures!

@stepfen Wow you taking your 3 & 5 year olds to stay in a RA homestay!

Let me explain: My wife is Indonesian and we will be visiting my in-laws (who live in Jakarta :() anyway. Kids and wife will be staying in Jakarta for 2 and a half months(!) .

From Jakarta the trip to Raja Ampat is not that bad (overnight flight + ferry + boat to the home stay) and with all these new things to see, the kids I am pretty sure will love it.

As for the homestay I am more worried about my (spoiled) wife than my kids. Kids love the sea and playing on the beach, my 5yo daughter likes snorkeling, the homestay last year had some kids of similar age (and my kids speak Bahasa fluently), so I am pretty sure they will enjoy it.
My wife well.... I've explained her the situation, showed her pictures and she accepted the challenge. Let's see how it goes.

October sees Raja Ampat’s season ramping up. By doing a homestay you do limit yourself to seeing just the region you are staying in rather than seeing north/central/south while on a liveaboard, though you do save some. I didn’t see it in your OP, but now I read you will have young children with you and the vast majority of liveaboards don’t allow children or young children, especially. That affects/changes your plans significantly. (FYI Mermaid fleet does and even has the option of hiring a babysitter!)

Banda may have schooling hammerheads between Sept-Nov.

Sulawesi has some nice muck diving in Lembeh. If you like this kind of diving it would be good but the resorts and activities may not be as suitable for family as they may be quite bored compared to other places. There is other reef diving there but you might be disappointed by it after Raja. Komodo is also a very good option but I would do that first (early Oct) because it will be towards the end of their high/dry season when you get there. Another place that people report enjoying is Bali diving. It is family friendly and has great topside activities for the family.

I didn’t see it in your OP, but now I read you will have young children with you
Just to clarify the one with the kids is me, not the OP.

Just to clarify the one with the kids is me, not the OP.

Guilty - that is what I get for trying to post first thing in the morning while still in bed. LOL. Thanks for clarifying. :D

I suggest a liveaboard for Raja if you can swing it, then. You will get to see way more of Raja Ampat (north/central/south). You can try to do Ambon-Maumere crossing for Banda as well. The rest of my recommendations still stand. :)

@stepfen So which homestay did you / will you stay at?
Did they have 24hr electricity?
Did they have decent fans in the room to keep you cool at night?

I completely hear you about the kids surviving!! Heck they will have a BLAST!! I know mine would.

@stepfen So which homestay did you / will you stay at?
Did they have 24hr electricity?
Did they have decent fans in the room to keep you cool at night?

I completely hear you about the kids surviving!! Heck they will have a BLAST!! I know mine would.

I stayed in Corepen homestay on Gam island. Electricity was on 18:00 to 22:00 - just enough to charge batteries. So obviously there were no fans but I never felt hot to the extend I couldn't sleep. And believe me I sweat a lot in the tropics, but not there! During one night with heavy rain I could have made very good use of a blanket if I had one as it was pretty cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom