October-South Africa and the Great Whites/Big Game/Wine Country

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FarEastYankee

Registered
Reaction score
South Korea, but can usually be found somewhere in
Hey All,
We're planning a trip in October to Africa. The camping/diving trip to Cambodia went so well, that we've decided to do another wild one.

Here's the basics (we're still planning)-

7-10 days in South Africa. Diving with the "big five" sharks, then a cross country land safari with the "big five" land animals, then some "in-cage" and "out of cage" Great White dives (yes, I said "out of cage" with White Sharks), and a final 2 days (optional) at the wineries "relaxing."

Those of you who have been on the Patricia in Thailand know who we are.

This is going to be a wonderful trip (back home for some of us), and we are looking for about 8-10 people maximum.

So far, cost is running about $1000.00 to 1500.00 USD per person (not including airfare). We should be able to get it down, this is just a rough estimate.

This will be pretty much limited to Advanced O/W and higher divers only. No need for a great deal of experience (not too many have Great White Shark experience anyway), but you'll need the Advanced course for some of the deeper dives.

If you're interested let me know. The details will start to pan out in the next two months or so.

We had a great time in Cambodia, and this will be an experience as well.

Fareastyankee

This sounds like it would be right up my alley. I would love to hear more details as it unfolds. Depending on the dates you select I am in. I am currently an assistant instructor and hoping to take the IDC and exam this summer. My wife is the non adventerous type so I will be traveling as a single. Send me the specifics as you get them.

Jim and Anita,
I will certainly keep you posted. We're going to try and hash out some of the fine details this weekend. The dates will most likely be in October, but we will alter them to suit everyone's needs.

fareastyankee

Whats the air itinerary going to be? (To where, then, and back?)
I would love to go, cause I have developed a mild death wish, and out of cage great white shark diving sounds like the way to go!:wink:

Dave

Hey Dave,
Myself, and the two other guys planning this trip will be flying out of Bangkok. I live in Korea, but will meet them there for the flight.

Our destination will be Johannasburg, South Africa. We will all meet there, and finally depart from there.

When we finally get a fairly good idea of people who are going, we will do all of the planning. Generally on a trip such as this, we will plan it out thoroughly, then give an itenerary to everyone with of list of the necessary hotels and such. In other words, we'll make the reservations for everything, but for hotels you'll need to email them or call them should they require a credit card for the reservation. They'll have your reservation, but won't hold it unless you get in touch with them.

Generally though, we can usually find places that will let us make reservations without payments up front. The goal is to plan the trip, make all of the reservations for everyone, and never have to have any exchange of money between ourselves. This protects all of us. We figure in the costs of "no-shows" (if we are getting group rates).

So by the time it's all said and done, you'll be getting a cost quote that reflects the total should everyone show up as well as one that reflects the cost should only you, me and two others show up. Then it's up to you to decide if the minimum and maximum costs are in your price range.

As for the first day, we will all meet at the pre-planned hotel in Africa. We'll arrange a "meeting time" to start the trip. It's pretty much up to the individual to make sure they get to the hotel on time. We'll all be talking with each other to exchange inbound flight numbers and such, and generally the first guys there (probably us, the planners) will meet the minivan driver and make trips to and from the airport to meet the divers as they come in.

We'll all have room numbers in advance, and all of the necessary phone numbers to call should flights get delayed, etc. If we plan on 10 divers and only 7 actually make it in, we'll already know what the difference in cost will be, and will be okay with no worries.

Once we get approximate dates, your best bet is to play with the airlines a bit, and find a good flight plan. For example, one of the guys planning this trip has found it cheaper to fly from Virginia to Bangkok on Delta, then from Bangkok to Johannnasburg on SouthAfrican Airways. This suits him since he has a house in Thailand, but it may not be worth the savings to some for the additional time in the air. Half of the cost of the trip will be airfare.

South Africa is very inexpensive, and our lead planner for this trip is a native of the country that has a great deal of experience with the shark diving and land safari stuff on the trip. This will be a trip home for him, and the diving and all will be with friends and former collegues of his, so the price will be right.

The trip will be planned so that no one has to stay the duration should they not want to. For example, the last two days will be spent touring the wine country and wineries for "relaxation." Not everyone cares too much for wine, so they may not want to stay for this period (I myself will be leaving country with cases upon cases of wine-ha).

The diving will be great. We'll definately be in the water with the big five sharks the first couple of days. The overnight through the grasslands in search of rhino, elephant, giraffe, lion, and hippos will be an experience to remember (yes, we will see them as we cross the refuge), and the final days in and out of the cages with the white sharks will be a time to remember. An 18 foot white shark with it's head out the water trying to get into the boat while you're in a cage next to it, should satisfy your "death wish" you mentioned.

I'll keep you posted as to the details as they come about. So far we have 3 of us in planning, 2 possibles from my home that may go, and 3 of you on this board that are interested. That's eight so far. We're looking for 8-10 for a good price. The three of us in planning are going regardless, but with 8-10 we get our costs down considerably, and are not overcrowded.

I'll be in touch. Pass the word if you know any others that may be interested.

fareastyankee

Sounds like a plan to me.

Only an 18 footer? Well, that will have to do.
:D

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom