Octopi prone to bite people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Many years ago as a teenager, a pet shop owner let me stick my finger in an aquarium where a small octopus had learned to come up top to be fed. It wrapped it's tentacles around my finger, which was a weird experience - like sticking a finger into cold, wet jello that moved.

Cut to years later, as a diver, I read posts & see pics where octopi reach out & grasp people, get on them, etc...

None of which would bother me much (although the idea of being seized by a giant Pacific octopus would be another story, as I understand happened to somebody who was unharmed), except for a couple of little details:

1.) They've got powerful beaks, and some venom (I realize most shouldn't kill, aside from blue-ringed octopi that don't occur in the Caribbean where I take trips, but I imagine it's painful).

2.) They could mistake human flesh for something to eat.

3.) One could get frightened and bite down.

Yet I don't read any accounts of anybody getting bitten by an octopus.

What say you guys? If an octopus appears curious & interactive, will you let it grasp or climb onto your hand? Do you avoid contact? Ever heard of anyone bitten?

Richard.

I have seen several interactions, and seen video of more, with Giant Pacific Octopuses. None has ever attempted to bite the human. They do pull, and will take lights and cameras (and the one I was involved with tried to remove a mask and regulator) but they don't bite.

I've been bitten by octopuses several times over the past 50 or so years. They generally bite when frighhtened and cornered. All have some degree of venom, but only a few, like the almost invariably fatal Blue Ringed, are dangerous. I have a small scar on my palm marking the site where a common Carribean octopus bit me as I was carrying him from a fish trap to the water's edge. The slightly venomous bite was in a bad spot for infections, so it took a while to heal. Generally, octopus bites are not especially dangerous but should taken seriously. Topical antibiotics are a good idea, but don't swallow systemic
antibiotics like they are candy because they can be as venomous as any sea creature. We live in a world of hazards, and most are man made.

Short answer is 'generally no', unless you stick your hand in their den or do any other form of major harassment to the octopus. Then it might be very probable.

I have had many octopus interactions... all initiated by them or done in such a way they had the option of reaching out to touch my wiggling gloved fingers. I have had them try to steal my torch and camera. I have never had a bit. My rule is never let the bitie bit get near my skin. Tug of war with gloved fingers seem to be fun for both of us but I think we both have limits:)

Don't touch and they won't bite.

When I moved to Catalina back in the late 60s and started diving Pacific waters, I heard a story about a diver who picked up an octopus and put it down the back of his wetsuit to take home (yes, they are edible and we bite them... something I learned in Greece). The story goes that the octopus bit the diver between two of his vertebrae and either killed or paralyzed him (too long ago to remember accurately). Maybe Sam Miller has the story on this one as it was back before 1969.

They are curious and yes I will interact with them if they initiate it. This means they have to swim over to me, not the other way around. I want to make sure that they do not feel trapped or pestered. So it does not happen every often. Well only twice in 20 years.

I will put my ungloved hand out for them to inspect - i do that with lots of creatures. I have had them reach out with a single tentacle and lay it on my bare hand and bare arm (I wear a shorty). The sensation was very strange.

Having previously witnessed dive guides mauling octopus in Hawaii, I new enough to not yank away. If you roll your arm away that allows the suckers to disengage one at a time.

Never had a fear of them biting me since we both stayed at arms length from each other.

They are such curious and clever creatures. I remember the marine biologist at the Manly Aquarium saying that they "collect" a specimen from the bay just outside the aquarium and release back to the same area as soon as they start showing any signs of stress. Some tolerate captivity better than others.

My experience is that some are more inclined to interact than others. The other factors of course is the number in the population and the number of divers they see. We see so many octopus at some of our sites we often don't bother even looking at them!

No matter what the creature IMHO it is vital that you respect all underwater creatures, learn to "read" them, never stress them, always ensure they have an easy out and never make them feel trapped.

I actually have the same concerns, nice to hear they're not typically aggressive when you give them no reason. Something that I haven't seen answered is it's time to go/ you're bored/ you want it off. What then? I'd imagine trying to just grab it and yank it off scares it and would inspire a bite or stress it out, any way to remove one that's latched fully around your wrist or do they not mind the tug o' war?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom