Octopus at Redondo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cold_H2O

Reaction score
I dove Redondo last night for the first time. There is an octopus guarding her eggs under one of the boats there. She is looking very grey and not very active. I am guessing she is almost dead. She has managed to hollow out both sides under the boat. I think she did this to allow water to circulate over the eggs unassisted.

The question is.... Have those eggs of hers hatched yet? I could see the egg sacks hanging from the bottom of the boat but could not tell if they still held eggs. Vis was not great last night.

I know that the female usually dies before the eggs hatch. So I was wondering if the eggs hatch and the female is almost dead will she stay till she dies? I have heard that on rare occations the female lives to breed again. I don't think it will happen in this case.

If you are interested in seeing an octopus and her eggs outside of the aquarium. I would suggest you get to Redondo quickly. Not sure how much longer this gal is going to be arounds.

gis_gal:
I dove Redondo last night for the first time. There is an octopus guarding her eggs under one of the boats there.

Do you remember which boat?

FYI there is a GPO at cove 2 in Olives Den sitting on eggs. Although the debth is a little greater then redondo it still offers another possibility to see octo eggs. Thanks gis_gal for the post about redondo octo eggs.

Glaucus:
Do you remember which boat?

She's under the carousel boat (at about 80+ fsw) ... been there since at least February ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

puckvirus:
FYI there is a GPO at cove 2 in Olives Den sitting on eggs. Although the debth is a little greater then redondo it still offers another possibility to see octo eggs. Thanks gis_gal for the post about redondo octo eggs.

Sadly, Olivette left the den about two weeks ago ... the rockfish and ling cod have since been having eggs for breakfast ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Sadly, Olivette left the den about two weeks ago ... the rockfish and ling cod have since been having eggs for breakfast ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

i saw the GPO under honeybear last night at cove 2, even took pictures of it (none turned out good though, due to backscatter and the restricted visibility) It seems to be about 4' in size.

NWGratefulDiver:
She's under the carousel boat (at about 80+ fsw) ... been there since at least February ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks, Bob!

Guess I should actually use the light I keep dragging in with me :D

yukoneer:
i saw the GPO under honeybear last night at cove 2, even took pictures of it (none turned out good though, due to backscatter and the restricted visibility) It seems to be about 4' in size.
There are several octopus dens in Cove 2 ... at least two that I know about that are on eggs. Olive's Den is a set of pilings at approximately 100 fsw ... and is so called due to a popular octopus who lived and died there three years ago. There have since been several octopus occupants ... the most recent called Olivette.

The octopus under the Honey Bear comes and goes ... often you'll look under there and see a big old ling cod, and a few days later the ling will be gone and the octopus will be back.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The femal on eggs is under the deepest of the three boats that line up from the end of the Highline Community College pier. Usually about 90 or 95 feet at high tide. People who dive there frequently will know where it is.

There is also an octo under the second boat from shore.

Rossiapacifica

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom