Octopus for scubapro setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't realize this question would set off a quasi-bungee necklace/standard octo config debate (with a dose of side exhaust v. bottom exhaust). I understand the concept of using the necklace, however with my limited dive experience, I for one won't be switching around my set up quite yet. I also have no experience with side exhaust regs. For now, I'm looking for an octo to clip onto my BC.

gfisher4792 once bubbled...
I didn't realize this question would set off a quasi-bungee necklace/standard octo config debate (with a dose of side exhaust v. bottom exhaust). I understand the concept of using the necklace, however with my limited dive experience, I for one won't be switching around my set up quite yet. I also have no experience with side exhaust regs. For now, I'm looking for an octo to clip onto my BC.

Just pick up an R190 or R380 octo from leisurepro, and you'll be all set and won't have to worry about IP's and stuff.

I have a MK 25 S-600 with a R 190 octo-It has worked great so far-I was hesitant to go the Air2 route myself and am glad I decided against it!
ps- the clip that comes with the octo sucks-change it out to another style...just mho

I have a MK25. At the time of purchase I did not like the SP octo's so I got a Sherwood Magnum Octo. I like the size and it can easily be taken apart underwater if needed. I have come to like the SP G250 also. Both are good choices IMO.

Having been diving a little longer than a lot of divers, I have several older Scubapro Balanced Adjustable regs, a G250 and some D400 second stages in addition to a Davor Viper second stage that I bought on clearance at the LDS.

The G250 and Balanced Adjustable offer an adjustment knob that is very handy to detune the reg and prevent unintentional air loss through the octo.

Most conventional second stages with an exhaust valve in the standard location can be just a bit wet when inverted. Nothing real serious, but if the buddy inserts the reg upside down and takes a really big panicky breath and gets a few drops of water down his throat it can start what amounts to a cough-gasp cycle. It is not real pretty and can lead to a full blown panic and a bolt for the surface.

In that regard a D400 is a very good octo as it tends to be very dry in any position. It also has a rather handy and multi-directional purge cover. The down side is that if your buddy is not familiar with it and is looking for a normal purge button, he/she won't find it, so pre dive familiarization is a good idea. The case is also very durable and unlikely to crack. The D400 is pretty much maintainence free and has a pre-dive/dive switch that detunes it a bit (to normal rather than super performing levels) and is ideal for using it as an octo.

In general, it is good idea if your secondary performs as well as your primary.

The Viper also shares the same advantage of breathing just as well inverted. It is very low profile and actually a pretty good performing reg. I have noticed all vipers are not the same though and there seems to have been some evolution in parts and the use of cheap looking plastic parts in some variants.

Back
Top Bottom