Odd Coloration of Linckia sp. Sea Star

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I checked Gotshall's Guide to the Marine Invertebrates. He didn't mention color variations but listed the species as reaching 4" in diameter. I've seen them larger than that, but definitely not in the 10" range.

Anyone got a collecting permit? Gordon Hendler, our echinoderm curator, would be quite happy to have a specimen (legally collected, of course) to examine and confirm the id. One of my contacts did mention what he considered the remote possibility that it was Luidia guildingi which occurs in the Pacific as far north as Mazatlan but also felt that it was a color variant. Differences between the two species are slight and can't be seen in a photo.

I returned to the same location on 20 July and found a smaller specimen of a similar color. This time I took a picture with a scale next to the star. I think the white balance on the first picture is good and the second picture shows the scale. How does one obtain a collection permit for the Dive Park?

Attachments

• Avalon Dive Park -4548.jpg
    Avalon Dive Park -4548.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Avalon Dive Park -4545.jpg
    Avalon Dive Park -4545.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 42
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom