Odd Coz growth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HaoleDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know what this thing is? We saw it in about 30 feet of water, off the shore of the El Presidente. Investigative prodding suggested it was organic, rigid but soft, and growing/rooted down.
Any thoughts?

We saw and took a picture of one of these too, anxious to hear what it is.

I have to say I find the "let's poke it and see what it is" attitude quite disturbing....

The same object was the subject of conjecture in this recent thread. Consensus seemd to be that it's an egg case from a type of conch.

Marc

Yes, the egg case of the West Indian chank and not the section of drier hose tht it looks like! Next time look very closely, if it's fresh, you may be rewarded with seeing the little snails.

About the "lets find it and poke it mentality," it was not like that. We didnt swim up and start manhandling it. We swam up, all of us looked, we took some pictures, then, using the butt of my dive knife, I gently poked one small part of it, to get an idea of the feel of it, because it looked like foam (or a dryer tube as someone said).
I'm normally very "hands-off" but I'm also underwater to explore and learn, and I had never seen that, neither had any of the people I was diving with, and now we better understand the things we saw, so I think that small exploration was worth it. After all, we wouldnt have any studies of fish without some contact, and I think as long as divers are respectful, and keep all contact to a minimum, and do it with some intelligence (i.e. not grabbing it with bare hands and transfering all sorts of fun oils or holding it so tight it breaks or dies) I think we can benefit the ocean by expanding our understanding of it.
Thank you to all those who weighed in, I had figured it was some sort of egg-sac, because it kind of looked like a glorified version of some other ones.

HaoleDiver:
using the butt of my dive knife, I gently poked one small part of it, to get an idea of the feel of it, because it looked like foam (or a dryer tube as someone said).

<snip>After all, we wouldnt have any studies of fish without some contact, and I think as long as divers are respectful, and keep all contact to a minimum, and do it with some intelligence (i.e. not grabbing it with bare hands and transfering all sorts of fun oils or holding it so tight it breaks or dies) I think we can benefit the ocean by expanding our understanding of it.
First don't take this personally, it's a soap box item for me.

Reguarding the use of a knife butt instead of your hands, it is true that this will cause less damage than your hands. However, I would like to point out that knives are not allowed in the Cozumel marine park for this very reason. To keep people from using them on marine life.

As to the other point, scientists do not generally swarm reefs at the rate divers do in Cozumel. The park staff estimates that 1500 divers per day hit the waters in Cozumel. How do you think the reefs would fare if 1500 scientists went down for one little poke?

James

I didn't know that knives weren't allowed, we even checked with Scuba Du before our first beach dive, to make sure we were in accordance (they only said we couldnt have gloves, which we all expected).
I understand your concerns about not touching sea life, and I think that other than some empty shells (in those large piles of empty conch shells that you occasionally find) I didnt touch anything else.

We had no problems with being allowed to take knives on our night dive in cozumel. We even asked before my hubby strapped his to his leg. We didn't take them on any of the day dives but he wanted it along for the night dive. This was at the end of May. We were also there in February and my brother-in-law had his on every dive without problem. I had no idea that there was any restriction on them. I can understand why the rule is there if it is but is it possible that the rule has changed? We'd never want to do anything that wasn't allowed while in the best diving area in the world!!!

Back
Top Bottom