Odd sizes and custom wetsuits.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancrest67

Reaction score
I am 6'4" tall at 220lbs. I have been diving for 10 years now and I still find it a chore to find the right wet suit fit and comfort. I am looking for a good quality cold water wet suit. I currently mix and match layering under my 3mm farmer john and shorty (not a great technique but workable for those with a budget).

The problem is market lack of information and too much information. My main complaint is that wearing a wet suit is not like wearing regular street clothes. I have searched extensively for wetsuit manufacturers that sell odd and/or in-between wetsuit sizes (O'Neil has some in-between sizes for men and women). Many manufacturers still use the L, XL, XXL and XXXL fit (but these sizings seem rather obtuse when it comes to a good wetsuit fit)...it still takes an extensive effort to visit dive shops to try on this and that. I keep hearing the raves about Henderson wet suits and how warm they are...but, I hear they shred easily and/or come apart after a couple of years of use. Is this true?

Yes, I am looking into a custom fit...any other tall, lanky north atlantic wreck divers out there with the same issues? Any advice and/or solutions?

Thanks.

oceancrest67:
I am 6'4" tall at 220lbs. I have been diving for 10 years now and I still find it a chore to find the right wet suit fit and comfort. I am looking for a good quality cold water wet suit. ....

Yes, I am looking into a custom fit...any other tall, lanky north atlantic wreck divers out there with the same issues? Any advice and/or solutions?

Thanks.

I think in general, no matter what brand the "ultra-stretch" is
made by simply blowing more air ino the neopreme. The result
has less "rubber' for it's thickness and is easier to stretch but
is less strong.

I Know BodyGlove makes an "LT" size. (That's long-tall. they
also make an LS for someone your weight but 8" shorter)

Check out Liquid Fit or Aquaflite. Custom shops online, have many good reviews on this board.

Check out Horizon Wetsuits. They made one piece, 7mm titanium custom suits for my daughters for @$300 for both of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom