odd sTTL behavior of Inon Z-240 type 4 with XZ-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pogiebait

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
In sTTL mode, I can only get the strobe to mimic the pre-flash sequence when the camera's flash is pointed directly to the bottom of the strobe, where the Z-240's sensor is. When the camera is not aimed right, the strobe fires at full power, missing the whole shot completely. This make some sense, I figure. But when I switch to other any other mode, like Auto, or more bizarrely, in sTTL-Low, the strobe functions as I understand it to. I have an optical cable on order to remedy this, but should it work this way??

I think you are saying your tests are without a cable. In my opinion you cannot evaluate the behavior correctly without using a cable because you cannot guarantee the strobe is seeing what it should. If I understand you, you are saying that sTTL works as you expect, when the sensor is in full view of the camera flash. With the cable in place, this will happen every time.

If you are in doubt as to your settings you can check here. Basically you want sTTL on the left dial, right dial to 12 oclock, bottom right button up (out).

Inon Z240 Review | Underwater Photography Guide

Yeah, that's the setting on the strobe. I just find it odd that it fires correctly for every other setting--even sTTL-Low, and at angles to the sensor that are severe. My cable is in the mail. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom