Oden experts trivia question, when was my '2960' "born"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
...trivia question for fellow Poseidon Odin owners:

In April 2002 I bought a used Odin from a dive shop in Mass. They deal in and service Odins, but weren't able to identify it's date-of-manufacture.

It's an 'older' 5-port 1st stage ( 1 HP port + 4 LP ports). The dive shop said it was made after 1994, based on the outside finish of the 1st stage, but couldn't be any more specific than that.

Here's what I know:

1) the 1st stage is a '2960' and both 'ends' are dome-shaped/"rounded".

2) when the 1st stage is mounted 'right-side-up' the primary 2nd stage LP port --designated by "R"--is on the left side of the 1st stage such that the primary 2nd stage hose routes over the left shoulder......which is, of course unlike the 'modern' Odin '3960' 1st stage, where this 'R-port' is located on the right side of the 1st stage, such that the primary 2nd stage hose routes over the right shoulder.

Can anyone provide the age range of this unit? I can provide the serial # on the 1st stage as well, if that would help narrow it down.

Just wondering about the history of the unit........I have 2 'new' Odin '3960' reg sets, as well as this older '2960' unit.

Thanks ,

Karl

this unit is definatly pre 94' because in 94 they changed to flat onside with the op valve

Pre 94, i got my first odin in 91-92 and it sounds the same as yours. I can get you the serial number if interested. It was new from the factory when i got it.

I had one like that. Probally early 1990s. Sounds like the "round" body cavers liked.

Eric

Thanks for all the research! I made a 'typo' in my post though...I meant to say the Poseidon dealer that serviced it for me said it was "pre-1994"...I mistakenly said they told me it was 'post-1994'.....but I meant to say "pre-1994"...which matches your conclusions.

At first, they were convinced of that, namely that it was "pre-1994".....but in a later e-mail they amended their opinion, saying that although the 5-port 1st stage went out of production in 1994, my particular unit was definitely manufactured after 1994, based on the 1st stage's outside finish...but they didn't detail what exactly it was about the finish that dated it 'post-1994'.

I don't notice anything about the 1st stage finish that makes it unique or different......it's the usual shiny chrome finish found on a brand-new 3960 1st stage......and it's perfectly cylindrical in shape, with a 'domed' upper and lower surface.

The serial # is: 31438309

ericfine50, can you clarify for me why cavers liked the "round" body 1st stages? I would have thought the new-and-improved 3960 would be the reg to have........what is it that makes the 'old' 2960 preferred?

Also, why did Poseidon eliminate one of the 2 rounded ends on the 1st stage? I'm just wondering about the internal design of the 2960 vs the 3960.

Thanks again, guys!

Karl

From the Poseidon manual:

Marking of Poseidon regulators:
The article number is marked on the 1:st stage, and the 1:st and 2:nd stage is marked with year and serial number, the first number is year: 0=2000, 1=2001 etc.
The number on the 2:nd stage is marked on the mouth-piece attachment (Bend the mouth-piece and you can find the number on the border)

31438309 = 1993

Round Body, at least as it was told me was when you look at the first stage, one end is rounded, not flat. The port configuration was better for doubles.

Eric

...thanks for the "1993" birthdate for my Odin, Bob3. Since it went out of production in 1994, I guess I have one of the 'last' 2960's.

Thanks for the clarification, ericfine50, but I have an additional observation to make: when you mention 1 side of the 1st stage is rounded, not flat.....that sounds like you are describing the 'modern' 3960.......on my '2960' both ends are rounded (domed)...so can you clarify your observation, as to why the '2960' is superior to the '3960'?

Well, thethumper, I wasn't planning to get rid of my '2960'. I bought it April 2002 (it was my first Odin reg set) and it's in 'new' condition, plus I had my local Poseidon tech do a total 'annual' on it this summer, plus installed a pair of new OEM soft-silicone mouthpieces on it too.

Since I made that purchase I went on to buy 2 more Odin reg sets (practically brand new '3960's') ......so now the '2960' is a back-up reg...the only reason is I prefer to dive with 2 HP ports so I can connect both an air-integrated computer and an analog guage console simultaneously, and the '2960' only has 1 HP port..that's the only thing 'wrong' with it. ..... but I'm hanging on to it in case a buddy wants to borrow it or in case I need to leave one of my '3960's' at the dealer for service/maintainance.

scubafanatic once bubbled...
...thanks for the "1993" birthdate for my Odin, Bob3. Since it went out of production in 1994, I guess I have one of the 'last' 2960's.

Thanks for the clarification, ericfine50, but I have an additional observation to make: when you mention 1 side of the 1st stage is rounded, not flat.....that sounds like you are describing the 'modern' 3960.......on my '2960' both ends are rounded (domed)...so can you clarify your observation, as to why the '2960' is superior to the '3960'?

Well, thethumper, I wasn't planning to get rid of my '2960'. I bought it April 2002 (it was my first Odin reg set) and it's in 'new' condition, plus I had my local Poseidon tech do a total 'annual' on it this summer, plus installed a pair of new OEM soft-silicone mouthpieces on it too.

Since I made that purchase I went on to buy 2 more Odin reg sets (practically brand new '3960's') ......so now the '2960' is a back-up reg...the only reason is I prefer to dive with 2 HP ports so I can connect both an air-integrated computer and an analog guage console simultaneously, and the '2960' only has 1 HP port..that's the only thing 'wrong' with it. ..... but I'm hanging on to it in case a buddy wants to borrow it or in case I need to leave one of my '3960's' at the dealer for service/maintainance.

You just let me know when you're ready to give it up. I do over head (caver/cave), and I do perfer the 2960 1st stages that are rounded (domed) on both ends. Better hose placement on dbls. & I feel they breathe a bit better. I can also hear my buddy breathing better. The 2960 makes a distinct "duuummm" noise on exhale. I don't have to KEEP looking around for him. I can locate him by the sound of his regs. And if sound stops for longer than the normal pause between inhale & exhale.... I know to look @ him or investigate further.

Hope that helps...... Now sell me your reg.... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom