Off-Gassing about Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dear Aqua Lung,

I went to a big scuba show over the weekend. It was sponsored by a local shop and had reps from many resorts and manufacturers. To my delight, there was an Aqua Lung rep there too.

Here's why I was delighted, and why that turned into dismay...

I have a Cousteau balanced diaphragm regulator that has served me well for many years and hundreds of dives. I love it, and I shower meticulous care upon it. The second stages, however, have not fared as well and I need a new 2nd (but what to get?). So I approached the rep with that very question.

His response, a direct quote: "Throw it away and buy this!" He holds up a Legend LX. "It's $600. Just throw yours in the trash." I'm flabbergasted.

:no:

I'm sure the LX is an excellent regulator and I would be a very happy owner. But I don't have an extra $600, and -- even if I did -- I don't see any point in discarding a reliable piece of gear that I enjoy. On the other hand, if this is Aqua Lung's approach to the scuba consumer perhaps I should throw it in the trash.

I'll let you have the last word.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I guess I'm a dumpster diver too. If I see one in the trash I'm going to get it. I'm diving with regulators that are probably older then he is and they are serving me well.

If you buy the Legend now, how many years before they say "Throw it away and buy this!"

Perhaps the rep could have been more eloquent, but I see nothing wrong with discouraging the use of antiques...

While I would agree that's not the best way to handle a customer question, that is the standard in our society. TV's, cell phones, computers, cars, etc are all designed to be used for a few years, then "upgrade". If there was no legitimate explanation (yours has been recalled because it kills people, no compatible replacement second stage), that's just lazy salesmanship. Unfortunately, that happens. I've been a happy Aqualung user for years, I wouldn't take this as a sign to ditch them entirely.

Don't you just love ignorant arrogant sales people....Get the first stage serviced if it needs it, buy a HOG second stage to replace the worn out second stage, then send a note and photo to the CEO of AL .....preferably with the name of the rep.

Certainly not the most tactful answer to a prospective customer's question. One needs to keep in mind that most rep's compensation is in some manner tied to sales dollars, and he, quite understandably, suggested the most expensive reg that AL markets.

I agree with Herman so far as adding a new second stage. I assume that your first stage is a Sea/Cousteau, which is an excellent first stage.

LOL I wonder what answer you would get if you asked a new auto salesperson if you should buy a new car or repair the old one?

Last edited:
Scott L and keyshunter are right the sales rep could have been more tactful about it, The Cousteau second stage is a mechanical draw second stage ad not a balance second stage. For parts you are suppose to talk to your dealer because their are parts available.
g2 you should put a picture up of the second stage and maybe we can give you a part number.

Dear g2

I have spoken to the sales representative in question and we would both like to extend our sincerest apologies. The comment was a lighthearted attempt at suggesting a replacement for your discontinued model, but I can see how this could be misinterpreted.

If you are interested in replacing your current regulator, I hope you will consider another Aqua Lung. Aqua Lung offers quality regulators in all price points. To see our complete regulator lineup, please visit our website at Aqua Lung - Recreational and Professional Diving Gear

Again, we apologize for any discomfort this experience may have caused, but thank you for letting us know.

Dan, as I see it, the issue here besides a less than professional response to the customer, is you (AL) are still not offering him the product he needs. He needs a replacement second stage, not a first and second stage. Please correct me if I am mistaken but as I understand it, AL will not sell a separate second stage, a Titan or Legend second stage for example, by itself short of convincing a tech to get all the replacement parts and build one which is not cost effective. This leaves us as customers with 2 choices, buy a used but serviceable AL second and restore it or but take our business to one of the other brands that will sell up what we want and need. As a customer, after I have been forced to find the products I need elsewhere, there is little reason for me to come back to AL when I want more gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom