Off season in Turks & Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petermichelle

Sporadic Member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are eyeing a summer special in Salt Cay Turks and Caicos. The deal is staying at Tradewinds Guest Suites and diving with Salt Cay Divers. Any info anyone? Or other suggestions for good diving deals in June?

Salt Cay divers is the only game in town. SC has a population of 60 people. Places to eat are Island Thyme and Pat's Place. Beautiful beaches. Very remote. If you are looking to get away and are okay with absolutely no nightlife...Salt Cay is for you. Most guests hang out at Island Thyme at night..Porter is hysterical. I think you can call ahead and order provisions before you stay at Tradewinds...ask Debbie at Salt Cay Divers. The diving and the people are great. Don't expect something fancy and people catering to your every whim. If you are okay with being on island time and are pretty laid back, then go to SC. If that doesn't appeal to you and you want to dive TCI--try Grand Turk. Also, Andros Island in the Bahamas has great diving and is very remote but with all of the bells and whistles. Check out Coral Caverns...that place is awesome and the people who run it are very nice. I did a trip report on it somewhere on this board. Check it out.

Thank you! Salt Cay sounds perfect for us. I love the remote islands culture and the only nightlife I need is the occasional octopus on a night dive! I appreciate your input -- I was worried that the diving might be better on other T&C islands. But sounds like SC is a good choice. Thanks.

Salt Cay divers is the only game in town. SC has a population of 60 people. Places to eat are Island Thyme and Pat's Place. Beautiful beaches. Very remote. If you are looking to get away and are okay with absolutely no nightlife...Salt Cay is for you. Most guests hang out at Island Thyme at night..Porter is hysterical. I think you can call ahead and order provisions before you stay at Tradewinds...ask Debbie at Salt Cay Divers. The diving and the people are great. Don't expect something fancy and people catering to your every whim. If you are okay with being on island time and are pretty laid back, then go to SC. If that doesn't appeal to you and you want to dive TCI--try Grand Turk. Also, Andros Island in the Bahamas has great diving and is very remote but with all of the bells and whistles. Check out Coral Caverns...that place is awesome and the people who run it are very nice. I did a trip report on it somewhere on this board. Check it out.

I agree with all this. Salt Cay is a beautiful, very quiet, very laid back, small island. Salt Cay Divers are a good professional dive op. There is a dive about 9 (?) miles off Salt Cay which is the oldest shipwreck in the Caribbean, and worth doing. I forget the name, but ask Debbie about it.

Oh yeah-a word to the wise on this. Make sure you like or can get along with someone before you go to SC if it is just going to be the two of you-otherwise it could turn into the vacation from hell as you will probably spending the majority of your time alone with whoever you came with. Don't count on there being a TV or that it even works. I'm just saying. There isn't a spa or a golf course you can go hide at if things go bad. Haha

Lol -- it is just my husband and I going but if this had been our first trip together it would be playing with fire! We went to Costa Rica on our first trip and very nearly didn't make it as a couple. We've learned to travel better together. Thanks folks! Great advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom