Off the beaten path in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rebelrph

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here's a short video of an Adult Spotted Drum and a Batfish that I ran across while diving on the northern end of Cozumel with Aldora Divers. When the weather allows and the experience levels of the divers on board are satisfactory, Aldora is happy to take folks where no other dive op on the Island will go. With the addition of a new boat, the Aldora VI, trips to the north will become the norm rather than the exception. From Adventure dives in search of sleeping sharks up north to the Spanish Galleon wreck with is 17 cannons and 2 anchors on the East Side, no one else will make these dives happen. With their own fill station with nitrox 32 and 36 for first and second dives and HP120's, you'll get more value for your diving dollars with Aldora Divers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGf9AF_POBw&feature=youtu.be

Did anyone notice the exhaust ports at the rear of the batfish? This is the first time I have ever seen one in motion (in the video, I was not on the dive)…this is one weird animal!

Dave Dillehay

I love weird sea creatures, and that Bat Fish definitely qualifies! The way he scuttles along the sandy bottom on four fins, I can't help but think that he's an ancient ancestor of the first amphibians.

Did anyone notice the exhaust ports at the rear of the batfish? This is the first time I have ever seen one in motion (in the video, I was not on the dive)…this is one weird animal!

Dave Dillehay

Yes, at first I thought they were associated with locomotion. Then I thought the exhaust ports could have been associated with letting water pass over the gills. I did not notice any gill slits or flaps.
Amazing video...

I had no idea they were there. Neat find...!

Dave Dillehay
Gill outlets I think.

We found a batfish just outside Puerto Abrigo. There is a nice wall dive just a few minutes out of the marina. The batfish we saw moved a little but nothing like the video. I had never seen one before, it's a very strange fish! We love this dive and go fairly often with Albatros Charters.

Wow! I never knew such a creature existed.

Great vid, thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom