Off the rack wetsuit for short and big bellied people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I'm a nurse, physiologist, snowboarder, biker, motorcycle cruiser, musician, hiker, camper, traveler and NOW....a certified diver. My body habitus just comes along for the ride.

Be comfortable in your skin people! Be happy.

I know the feeling!

there are a few reasons why I would go with both a 3mm and 7 mm custom, first off 3mm are cheaper so if you don’t like the suit you spent less money second bye ordering a 3mm first they have already created a pattern so it will cheaper for your 7mm and the fit will be perfect and most custom suit makers will give you 1 free alteration within a year so if you lose or gain weight they will alter it for you free

Grimloc, This is good advice. Here in SoCal we are fortunate to have several custom wetsuit tailors. Unless you have one within driving distance, order both. Get the hood as well. There is nothing more comfortable than a tailored hood.

Besides, the only way neoprene stretches is by getting thinner. Around here, that means "colder."[/QUOTE]

That's not necessarily true. You don't get a size 14 and stretch it to fit over a size 20 body. Just having a wee bit of stretch adds so much comfort to the suit. I'm all about comfort!!!!!!!

I'm an inch taller than the OP and considerably heavier. (I wear XXL or XXXL) For a thin suit 3 mm for the tropics, just buy a stock suit that matches your weight. If the water is warm and the suit is a little long it is no big problem.

However, for a 7 mm suit in cold water, you might consider buying a custom suit. At the very least try a stock suit on before you buy.

Ok then...let's review the measurements:

Ht: 5'7"
Wt: 195 lb.
Chest: 40" at the ribs, but bigger (42") at the man-breasts
Waist at belt: 37"
Waist at the umbilicus: 42"
Inseam: 29"

I looked at the Bare size-chart and first blush looks like a Large Short. Am I hearing arguement for an XL Short????

Based on how my suit fits, you may not want to buy a short. At 5' 2.5", I am wearing a suit designed for a height of 5'5" -5'7" and the length is just right. Perhaps a male can comment on whether the men's suits are similarly on the short side.

As far as weight, I am currently at 146 lbs (1 lb over the top of the weight range for my suit) and the arms are a tad snug. Everything else fits perfectly.

Just an XL?

Besides, the only way neoprene stretches is by getting thinner. Around here, that means "colder."

That's not necessarily true. You don't get a size 14 and stretch it to fit over a size 20 body. Just having a wee bit of stretch adds so much comfort to the suit. I'm all about comfort!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

It doesn't stretch by getting any thicker. It stretches by getting thinner. My point was that relying upon the stretch factor to make a basic fit is fraught with problems.

Stretch is great for allowing more freedom of movement.

Fisheater.to each his own. My wonderful fit comes from the fact that my suit is a custom fit suit, not off the rack. It also just happens to be a superstretch material. I don't feel that I've lost any warmth at all by chosing this material. I simply love the comfort and would never, ever consider anything else.

Thanks for all of the input everyone! I think I'll try a couple rack suits on first....the custom-made will always be an option and perhaps the best one down the road.

G.

Back
Top Bottom