Off to Raja Ampat tomorrow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't wait to see the pics and read your report! Great time to be going to RA. We were there in November and had a fantastic time! Again, have a great trip!!!
Thanks. On my return I'll post a full report and photos.
BTW, I am NOT giving-up diving after this trip. Socorro & Bonaire in May 2015, Bali (Padang bai) & Wakatobi in October 2015 and finally Philippines (Dumaguete & Tubbutaha) in March-April 2016. Then I intend to hang-up my fins.

For those who have been, how draining is simply getting there? My plan is I leave Wed, arrive CGK Friday (9hr layover in Istanbul), several hours layover until leaving for Sorong (@ 1am????). Then a few hours boat ride to Misool. At least it's 2 weeks, Christmas and NewYrs.

It IS draining to get there and I only start in Singapore! Then again, if it was easy to get to, it would look like Phuket, Cancun or Sharm El Sheikh.

Looks like you are like some of the Easter Euro guys I met who travel for 48 hours to get there. My trip in Sept took about 30 hr transit and layover time. I basically did not sleep much as I am a light sleeper & resisted taking pills. Sleep deprevation really took a toll on me in Jakarta along w humid heat.

The funny thing is I became accustom to the perpetual motion from the plane & boat trip. I had ZERO problem for sea sickness whenever we go out on the dive boat. Lots of current can make the ride real choppy at times.

Once you get to RA, u will forget about all the fatigue. Above the surf is breathtaking; below water is simply unreal. I didnt know what to look for because there are so much aquatic action everywhere. Just ensure you are in good shape with sleep, hydration, nutrition so you dont have down time!

Get as much rest as you can before you leave and during transit. Yes, I too very much dislike the late night flight from Jakarta and will definitely do it differently next time. But as was said before, once you start diving the stimulation will be pretty much non-stop.

Got back last night. Great Trip. Will post report and photos in a few days.

The Garuda flight route was long but not particularly draining. For the Gatwick to Jakarta flights both ways, I turned-up 3 hours earlier, requested a seat alongside the emergency exit, paid $40 asked and got it. This made a huge difference and I was able to stretch out and sleep. I had a 7-hour stop at Jakarta and had booked a room at POP! Hotel near the airport. For less than £20 I got 2 hours sleep, a chance to Sh-Sh-Sh and have a light lunch. This set me-up for the next part from Jakarta to Sorong via Makassar as domestic passenger on Garuda with the luggage booked through. The Seahorse staff met me at the airport and transferred immediately to the boat where I had several hours of sleep and was ready to start diving the next day.

Most experienced travellers strongly advice to go via Makassar and avoid Manado for the Jakarta to Sorong route. Apparently, flight and/or luggage delays are far more common on the Manado route.

Just got back from Socorro and it was AWESOME! Sorry if I am off thread here.
Lol...I'm not the only one who plans years in advance! We have Raja Ampat in 14 months at Misool. Followed by Komodo 7 months after that.

Socorro is on the list too!

Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2014 at 01:26 PM ----------

Looking forward to the report! Glad you had a great trip!!!
Got back last night. Great Trip. Will post report and photos in a few days.

The Garuda flight route was long but not particularly draining. For the Gatwick to Jakarta flights both ways, I turned-up 3 hours earlier, requested a seat alongside the emergency exit, paid $40 asked and got it. This made a huge difference and I was able to stretch out and sleep. I had a 7-hour stop at Jakarta and had booked a room at POP! Hotel near the airport. For less than £20 I got 2 hours sleep, a chance to Sh-Sh-Sh and have a light lunch. This set me-up for the next part from Jakarta to Sorong via Makassar as domestic passenger on Garuda with the luggage booked through. The Seahorse staff met me at the airport and transferred immediately to the boat where I had several hours of sleep and was ready to start diving the next day.

Most experienced travellers strongly advice to go via Makassar and avoid Manado for the Jakarta to Sorong route. Apparently, flight and/or luggage delays are far more common on the Manado route.

While Bonaire is fun when you have a group (went with my dive club) and drive around to various beach dive spots, where you are going in Indonesia is vastly superior to Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom