Off Topic birth control pills question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KMarie, I'm no expert, since I haven't taken birth control pills for 15 years. But I do suffer from depression, and my doctor absolutely begs me not to start birth control pills, since they can induce/worsen depression. Not that I have any interest in starting...

GaleForce, I'm with ya. But I'll go one farther. If a woman is in a monogamous relationship, why shouldn't her partner get a vasectomy? Much simpler process, medically. And -- I think -- it has a better chance of reversal.

Worth noting: A Scuba Board guy launched a thread several months ago here in the Women's Forum. He wanted to know which type of birth control would have the fewest negative effects on a woman diver. (If I remember correctly....)

Anyway, I suggested condoms. Well, he (tried to) SLAM me for not taking his question seriously. ....Maybe some men don't consider condoms worthy of consideration when it comes to birth control. :)

FROM KMarieS23: As far as side effects -- my doctor said not to expect any unusual ones because the hormones are almost identical to those in Ortho Trycyclen, but I have noticed a few strange things. My hair seems to be falling out in abnormal quantities when I'm in the shower, and I've been feeling kinda depressed ever since I started on it. My mom experienced deep depression on the pill when she tried taking it years ago, so I'm wondering if this could be happening to me. Anyone ever experienced this? For these 2 reasons alone, I'm probably going to switch back to Trycylen.

FROM GALEFORCE:
new to forum. hopefully this is going into the birth control thread...
best birth control - get your tubes tied. Reversible (I've heard). Otherwise, why mess with your body? Let your guy wear a condom. If he refuses to wear a condom, you refuse sex.

Just my thoughts:

All I have to say about condoms is THEY BREAK. If I relied on just condoms, I'd die of heart failure with in 3 months. Second, they suck. If you are in a monogomous(sp) relationship why deal with them.

Surgical options, several of my co-workers have had vasectomys(sp) and their doctors said that basically don't count on them to be reversible. I don't know about tubal ligation(sp). I would be fine with either if I was done with kids.

I like being in complete charge of my birth control and I feel the only way I am is with hormones of some form. I have been on Desogen, ortho-tricyclen, and Demulen. On Desogen and Demulen I gained a little water weight in my boobs only, yeah. No other symptoms. Ortho-tricyclen made me loose the water weight, bye boobs, and seemed to decrease my drive some. (Could have been the boyfriend too) I've had friends do okay on Depo-prova (sp) but had a hard time getting off (and pregnant). Some of my friends reported more food cravings when on a pill and that was what brought the weight on. Have your thyroid checked too.

Whatever makes you happy and healthy is the most important.

greenalien once bubbled...
....I like being in complete charge of my birth control and I feel the only way I am is with hormones of some form......

.....Whatever makes you happy and healthy is the most important.

(Despite my personal dislike of hormones, I would fight any effort to withdraw them from the birth control market. DM)

Hey, I noticed you had migraines too....I suffer fromt them as well and have never been able to take any BC Pills due to this. Can you tell me more about these Mircette pills...what is involved in taking them....any info would be greatly appreciated...Megan

Hi Ladies:
I dug up this old thread. Do any of you know the name of the new pill that is out now, that only allows you to have a period 4 times a year?

Natasha,

Though I am not an OB/GYN, I am a female physician who like many of my friends, discuss OCP's and other birth control types ad nauseum....

Seasonale is the brand that has started marketing what we call "non-cycling" of birth control...though it has been done with other monophasic birth control pills for years. Female athletes have done this to eliminate having periods during big events and also to prevent iron loss. I personally have done this with several monophasic pills including ortho-cyclen and ortho-cept since being on call 3 months in a row just isn't the best time or simply to not have to worry about it on vacation. The only real problem is that eventually you start to have some breakthrough bleeding (more in the beginning) so I would suggest first taking the active pills for 6 weeks then a 7 day break, and eventually increase to 9 weeks or 12 weeks (for the 4 times a year period).

Hope this helps since the newest OCPs can cost a fortune and if you already have one you like, you can usually non-cycle unless it is a triphasic or high estrogen type. Please let me know if I can help answer any other questions!

TaTa,
E

littlemermaid:
Natasha,

Though I am not an OB/GYN, I am a female physician who like many of my friends, discuss OCP's and other birth control types ad nauseum....

Seasonale is the brand that has started marketing what we call "non-cycling" of birth control...though it has been done with other monophasic birth control pills for years. Female athletes have done this to eliminate having periods during big events and also to prevent iron loss. I personally have done this with several monophasic pills including ortho-cyclen and ortho-cept since being on call 3 months in a row just isn't the best time or simply to not have to worry about it on vacation. The only real problem is that eventually you start to have some breakthrough bleeding (more in the beginning) so I would suggest first taking the active pills for 6 weeks then a 7 day break, and eventually increase to 9 weeks or 12 weeks (for the 4 times a year period).

Hope this helps since the newest OCPs can cost a fortune and if you already have one you like, you can usually non-cycle unless it is a triphasic or high estrogen type. Please let me know if I can help answer any other questions!

TaTa,
E

Thank you so much for your help. I will send you a private message..incase we are boring anyone!
Thank you again.

I was on the pill for about 15 years and started gaining weight until I switched to a low progesterone version. However, I have read that being on the pill (and how many women haven't been on the pill) can lead to an increase in depression. Personally, I've suffered through that, and I know that the vast majority of my friends are either on meds or have taken them. I'm always curious to know if there is a link between taking the pill and an increas in depression.

And if you think you've gained weight on the pill, anti-depressants are the worst for weight gain! I've been slim all my life, but in 2 months had probably packed on between 15 - 20 pounds. (That alone will make a woman depressed!) So I quit the meds, went on a holistic diet, and the weight is off finally.

Any of you women have a similar experience?

Back
Top Bottom