Offended??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My daughter and girlfriend, both dive with me while Spearfishing, they usally carry some cameras.

After a few months with them as Spearos buddys, they're starting to ask me to get them a speargun so they can join the fun too, I believe that I've created a couple of monsters that can't be caged again LOL.
Maybe it's time for me to take the cameras and take pic of them, Nahhh, I'll keep my spear for sure.

When the Spears are not allowed, we fight for the camera, go figure LOL.

That sounds like fun and a good way to get first hand knowledge. :) Thanks for the idea. If anyone has another other knowledge they would like to share on the topic please feel free to PM me. I don't have any spearos now to tag along with but I am interested in learning more. Thanks to all.

Lauren

Wow. Mandy, so now it is our responsibility to go find a spearo and dive with them to learn all about it. Interesting.

Actually I have told friends that I would like to accompany them to learn about it, but that would be my idea, not the recommendation of someone else.

I believe that most spearos are probably perfectly safe, and probably better divers than the recreational average because of what they have to do to be successful.

However, I still would not want to be around them on a cattle boat. Sharp things, things that fire projectiles and large groups are a worrisome mix. I have seen some really scary divers out there, and we have all read about people doing stupid things.

By the way, when I dive in Monterey, I could be beyond your visibility, but well within the range of your spear.

You have the right to spear fish (in some situations) but I would prefer not to share a busy crowded boat with your gun. Just my weakness.

Glad to see that someone finally answered Lauren's questions. I too find it interesting that Justin highlighted her questions to point out a prevailing ignorance, but initially chose not to actually answer any of the questions. Questions that I had suggested previously I might add.

Wristshot

Wow. Mandy, so now it is our responsibility to go find a spearo and dive with them to learn all about it. Interesting.

Actually I have told friends that I would like to accompany them to learn about it, but that would be my idea, not the recommendation of someone else.

You got my post all wrong buddy, I sugested that if you or anybody else wants, get the apropiate experience in a controlled enviroment, read again the posts!

However, I still would not want to be around them on a cattle boat. Sharp things, things that fire projectiles and large groups are a worrisome mix. I have seen some really scary divers out there, and we have all read about people doing stupid things.

By the way, when I dive in Monterey, I could be beyond your visibility, but well within the range of your spear.

You have the right to spear fish (in some situations) but I would prefer not to share a busy crowded boat with your gun. Just my weakness.

That's your right, to be or not to be around Spearos, that's why it's so important to ask the question before you book the trip, as I said before.
if the operator says to me that Spear is a no-no, then I decide if I want to go or not, most of the time I agree to go and enjoy the dive equally, but I knew before hand, not when rigging up the gun at the dock.

You as a non Spearo and oviously concerned about Spears should be the first to ask this question to the operator before booking, so you won't find out it's a spear allowed trip when you get to the dock, therefore you'll have a bad day worrying about the spears all day long.

Glad to see that someone finally answered Lauren's questions. I too find it interesting that Justin highlighted her questions to point out a prevailing ignorance, but initially chose not to actually answer any of the questions. Questions that I had suggested previously I might add.

Wristshot
Deadend answered Lauren questions very acurately, so that's a moot point right know, Lauren is very concerned about the issue and is asking the right questions to get the right answers, she got the right attitude, after she fully understand the subject, she can decide for herself if she would allow the spears around or not.

You have all the right to disagree, but I'm not trying to shove you down your throat my diving style, so please don't shove yours to me.

Bottom line, if you're so concerned, ask the question and avoid confrontation later.

I'm not trying to begin a flame war, I give you this recomendation with the most respect to you and your diving style.

Spearfisherman have their legal rights to hunt. I have mine to stay away from them. I have been on a boat with spearfisherman recently and found it a bit offensive. No big deal but there are other boats I can and will use.

It is unfortunate that the diving world is divided between those that wish to preserve and those who enjoy killing things. We could accomplish a lot otherwise.

Spearfisherman have their legal rights to hunt. I have mine to stay away from them. I have been on a boat with spearfisherman recently and found it a bit offensive. No big deal but there are other boats I can and will use.
Brian, I agree with you 100%, my respects Sir!!

It is unfortunate that the diving world is divided between those that wish to preserve and those who enjoy killing things. We could accomplish a lot otherwise.

You make it sound like vicious killing going around in all the reefs.
An irresponsible Spearo doesn't last long doing it, the macho feel goes away very quickly.
Responsible Spearos only spear what they're going to consume and not the little fish, I myself have come back to the boat empty handed many many times 'cause I' don't see something right to harvest.

Other kinds of fishing don't descriminate with what they catch, until you catch it.

Also it's ovious that the local friendly grouper can't be shot, it's common courtesy.

There are some rotten apples out there fer sure, but I can assure you that 99% of Spearos out there know what they're doing and respect things. Those rotten apples, as I said before doesn't last long, just do it 1 or 2 times and quit.

Mandy3206:
Brian, I agree with you 100%, my respects Sir!!

You make it sound like vicious killing going around in all the reefs.
An irresponsible Spearo doesn't last long doing it, the macho feel goes away very quickly.
Responsible Spearos only spear what they're going to consume and not the little fish, I myself have come back to the boat empty handed many many times 'cause I' don't see something right to harvest.

Other kinds of fishing don't descriminate with what they catch, until you catch it.

Also it's ovious that the local friendly grouper can't be shot, it's common courtesy.

There are some rotten apples out there fer sure, but I can assure you that 99% of Spearos out there know what they're doing and respect things. Those rotten apples, as I said before doesn't last long, just do it 1 or 2 times and quit.

I don't consider spearos irresponsible or vicious. However the ones I have observed do seem to enjoy the act of killing animals. I don't. That doesnt make me superior to them, just different.You are right in that spearos are not the main cause of depleted fisheries.They are not part of the solution either.
IMO we need more and vastly expanded no take areas so everyone can win. That way we can dive among plentiful sea life and have our fish tacos too.

Exactly Brian!

Thanks for your understanding, balance is the key to it!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Final thought and final (for now) questions :)

The cattle boat I was on this past weekend did not have any spearfishermen on it. However, when I got down to the wreck there was at least one spearo from another boat already there. So after thinking about it, it would seem that asking the dive boat operator if they allow spearos onboard would not cover what you might end up finding down below anyway. It's a good question however, and one I will make sure to ask dive boat operators about in the future.

Since I am now up to a grand total of 18 dives in my short career and having never encountered a spearo before last Saturday are there any areas that don't allow spearfishing at all? Or how does one find out what local spearfishing regulations are? I dove numerous times in Hawaii this summer and once in Bermuda and never encountered a spearo before. So it just hadn't occured to me much until I saw one this weekend. Aside from taking a class on spearfishing or diving with a spearo are there any online resources that anyone can point me to where I could learn more about it? Thanks. :)

Lauren

Lauren, go to spearboard.com and look around. If you want to start a thread over there I'm sure you'll get all the answers you want and maybe a dive trip to boot!

Brian, because I enjoy eating then I guess I enjoy killing things. I don't eat commercially caught fish. The few fish that I kill pales in comparison to the bycatch of any comm. operation. I like to cut out the middleman if I can. Unless you are a vegan that lives in the woods naked and has never killed anything then you have no right to judge anyone for killing for food. Merely existing ensures that some other organism will be affected. Why should killing a fish to eat be morally somehow worse than going into the local burrito joint to get a fish taco?

Back
Top Bottom