Offended??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy:
Guess you missed the point. I was saying that you're in greater risk when swimming than diving or spearfishing.

and you missed MY point - you're in greater risk when "chumming" the water than when just diving.
lol.

You'll notice the "experts" at the Tampa aquarium don't let divers in the shark tank when there's 'food' in the water.
And those are just nurse sharks and sand tigers.

So diving doesn't seem to be as much of a threat, as diving with 'food' in the water.

But again, this common sense information is now 10 miles off topic. The question was whether or not divers would be offended by hunters on a "cattleboat". The answers and reasons have varied. But it seems like some (if not most) would be unsettled, nervous, annoyed, and maybe even offended.

I don't get it, why would someone want to spear cattle on a boat? Who cares about the friggin' sharks! It seems like you uncaring louts might be a little sensitive to the poor cows! Who does that? Horrible, you people are just horrible.

I wouldn't be one bit offended. If the trip involved a cattle boat I simply wouldn't go at all.

Not offended, just be in the water first before everyone else to get a good shot.

I wouldn't be offended, but I would be concerned. Scratch that, I would probably refuse the trip.

I just dislike the idea of people with weapons in the midst of a big group of people. I have seen some divers do some really stupid things. I shudder to think what could happen if they had weapons with them.

I also got nuthin' against deer hunters, but I don't want them out there shooting on the same mountain where I am skiing and I don't want to ride the chairlift with them. Same situation.

I would like to dive with a spearo sometime to check it out, but not with a bunch of other targets, er. . I mean divers on the same patch of reef.

I am not saying that all spearos are dangerous or bad or even crazy. However I do see a lot more potential for mishaps in a cattle boat scenario.

But hey, that's just me.

Wristshot

I can see where a spear gun might upset, create concern, or make certain people nervous. I am a hunter. I love spear fishing and that is why I dive. However, I also feel that when other people are spending hard earned money on their day off to dive I do not want them to feel uncomfotable. We are all in it for fun. Cool people don't make others feel uneasy. So, if I go on a cattle boat I leave my speargun on my boat. For those that do not have their own boat, I guess it is spear fish from the cattle boat or not at all.

I have a concern with visibility it this situation.

Did a dive last summer off the SC coast.

The folks in after me and my daughter had spear guns - I had not seen them before. Since visibility was only about 10 feet - We did not do the 2nd dive. I didn't feel safe.

DeputyDan,

I agree. I am not sure what the "range" is on a spear from a spear gun, but I would be very concerned in the low viz normal for the Monterey Bay area. That could be just a case of my ignorance, but if the spear can go further than the hunter can see. . .

Of course there is always the major concern about the spear poking or shooting someone on the boat.

W

I was just thinking; if there is a nasty shark in the area, who is it going to bother me or the guy with the spear gun that just bagged a couple of fish?

Lou,

Why is that nasty shark in the area? and why is it nasty? Was it attracted to the blood from the diver that got nicked on the elbow by the spear tip when the spearo leaned over to zip up his dive bag under the bench?

Gee, I sound like a real nutcase. Sorry. I got no problem with guns or hunters, I just don't want them around large groups of people. Have you seen how stupid people can become in large groups?

W

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom