Official 7th Annual Venice Beach Turkey Fry Thread Sponsored by Scuba Quest!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who is busting your chops? Certainly not lil ol me :blinking::rofl3:

Dana, How 'bout we hold of on your item 'til closer to the event? Maybe a couple bucks for oil or some chips.... Will let ya know, if that is okay?

See ya in a couple of weeks chica!

No problem. Just let me know.:D

Question:
I already know the turkeys need to be thawed, but what size works best in the cookers?
Also, I will probably bring some fish to deep fry too!

No more than 15lbs on the turkeys (12-15 is great). At least this is what the fellas said last year. :)

fish is goooooood :thumbs-up

The set-up for last year worked very well... just need a few tables to supplement the pavilion tables for eating.

The fryers need to stay on the outskirts of the area for safety reasons. Having them at the south end worked well.

I will have my fryer, and hopefully Truck1's fryer is available. My second fryer will be busy elsewhere that weekend.

Scuba Quest had HUGE coolers of ice last year. I will only load up on the ice if they can't. Let me know.

I will also bring plenty of potatoes for the fresh french fries. We'll need lots of ketchup and some vinegar for those that like it.

Hey... a copy/paste from last year's thread... for review...

Guidelines for turkeys to be fried... (VERY IMPORTANT)

DO NOT BUY BUTTERBALL turkeys... they are injected with alot of water... not good for frying. Buy cheap "young" turkeys. It's ok... they fry the best.

13-15lb size is best. This weight is the size that will max out the fryer's capacity... therefore most "bang" for the buck (and cooking time).

The birds must be thouroughly defrosted... no exceptions. Please make sure the giblits are removed and the cavern is completely thawed and washed out. This is the number 1 reason for splatter, burns, and fires.

We DO NOT have running water at the cooking site to clean the birds!!

The oil will preheat for almost an hour to reach the right temp. The birds cook 3.5 min/lb. 15 lb bird cooks in about 55 minutes. Please make sure the birds arrive in time to cook properly.

Thanks,
Scott

Okay we will leave the food set-up as it was last year and just add a couple of tables to the pavillion.

Thanks for finding that post on the turkeys :)

And the french-fries - I forogt about those - yum.

Will speak to Justin at SQ regarding the coolers.

Oh yeah, it'll be me and smiley + 2.2 (2 adults and a 2 year old)

Fryer & associated utensils, potatoes for fries, oil, and Pepsi products.

Last year we fried 9 turkeys and there were no leftovers.

Wally World has turkeys for 40 & 60 cents/pound.

Oh yeah, it'll be me and smiley + 2.2 (2 adults and a 2 year old)

Fryer & associated utensils, potatoes for fries, oil, and Pepsi products.

Last year we fried 9 turkeys and there were no leftovers.

Wally World has turkeys for 40 & 60 cents/pound.

Updated.

Okay, I've got MissD bustin' my chops here, so I guess I'd better get signed up. Remember, I can't cook, so what do ya'll want me to bring? :)
If Dana would like I have folding chairs and tables here as well. Maybe 10-15 of them and since she has a truck it would help me out some. What do you think ? ~~~Babe~~~

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom