Official 7th Annual Venice Beach Turkey Fry Thread Sponsored by Scuba Quest!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

truck1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Okay Here it is...
7th Annual Saturday after Thanksgiving Venice Turkey Fry
Sponsored in part by Scuba Quest :goingdown:
9:00 a.m. 'til whenever (usually two-ish)
:turkey:
Tentatively set for spot next to Sharkey's

This years should be very similar to last year in all respects. Lots of food, fun, and camaraderie to be had. As always, all our welcome to this event. It has been a long standing tradition and is a heck of a lot of fun :D

Couple of ground rules:
1. Please leave all of the drama off the thread
2. Please do not repost the first thread as it can lead to confusion
3. Pack in/Pack out - meaning whatever you bring, please take it with you
4. As always, please keep an eye on this post for updated info

ScubaBoard's very own [user]FossilBabe[/user] will be on hand again this year to identify any goodies you might find while diving. :yelclap:
Last year some pretty impressive stuff was found including a mammoth tooth. For information on fosilling: Venice Fossil Divers - ScubaBoard
To check out last year's event: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...leanup-11-29-08-sponsored-ipb-scubaquest.html
Driving directions: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4873961-post99.html

Note to those bringing turkeys: Please be sure to defrost them at least 24-36 hours ahead of time. Frozen or partially frozen turkeys don't go well with hot oil :thinking:
Additional note: Everyone is encouraged to bring chairs. If you can provide additional chairs, let us know so we can add them to the list.

Attendees and the item they are bringing to share:
Cooking and Carving are our fireman [user]Truck1[/user] (Rico) and [user]DiveDiveDiveCFL[/user] (Scott)
[user]Divedivedivecfl[/user] (Scott) & Smilie (Laurin) + 2 adults & 1 2 y/o: Fryer & associated utensils, potatoes for fries, oil, and Pepsi products.
[user]Truck1[/user] (Ronnie), [user]BlondeAmbition[/user] (Dani), and their two kidlets: Cooler of ice and oil, aluminum trays
[user]MissDirected[/user] (Tracy): Paper plates and utensils, chaffing dishes, 2 turkeys
[user]BlueWaterBrad[/user] & missus w/ two kidlets: Baked Chipotle Mac-N-Cheese
[user]AquaPixie[/user] (Alison), Gabbie, and [user]NJD3RPH[/user] aka Alphabet Soup: Snacks
[user]dlscozz[/user]: Peanut Butter Balls :drooling:
[user]WildBill[/user]: Turkey
[user]FossilBabe[/user]: Souffle, Folding chairs and tables (tentative)
[user]CMOST[/user] (Craig): Cooler w/ice water + $$$ towards oil.
[user]Sh@rkW@tcher[/user] (Mike) + 1: 1 turkey + $$$ towards oil.
Scuba Quest: Six 6' Tables

If you are planning on attending, please pick an item from the following list to share with the group:
Turkey
Stuffing
Vegetables
Desserts
Rolls
Cups
Those stick on paper nametags (and someone to print them):
Soda
Water
Money - Our fireman supply the oil so if you are a last minute comer or just can't decide on an item to bring cash is good! It will go to pay our fellas back :)

** Guidelines for turkeys to be fried... (VERY IMPORTANT) **​
DO NOT BUY BUTTERBALL turkeys... they are injected with alot of water... not good for frying. Buy cheap "young" turkeys. It's ok... they fry the best.

13-15lb size is best. This weight is the size that will max out the fryer's capacity... therefore most "bang" for the buck (and cooking time).

The birds must be thoroughly defrosted... no exceptions. Please make sure the giblits are removed and the cavern is completely thawed and washed out. This is the number 1 reason for splatter, burns, and fires.

We DO NOT have running water at the cooking site to clean the birds!!

The oil will preheat for almost an hour to reach the right temp. The birds cook 3.5 min/lb. 15 lb bird cooks in about 55 minutes. Please make sure the birds arrive in time to cook properly.

[SM]Thread formatting by MissDirected[/SM]

Last edited by a moderator:
Three handy peices of info are missing...Date, Location and Time.

Ronnie, thanks for stepping up and agreeing to be the official list updater!

Well...... I haven't been to this in a couple of years and didn't know it had been moved from Alambraugh (sp) Beach. It was always a great time meeting, diving and eating with fellow SB'ers. :D I'm off that weekend and will most likely go for the day.

Myself plus NJD3RPH (alphabet soup), Tentatively + 1 -Bringing Snack's :)

This will be a 1st time for us since we are new to Florida - Looking forward to meeting new ppl :cool2:

Myself plus NJD3RPH (alphabet soup), Tentatively + 1 -Bringing Snack's :)

Hi,

I read your post that you and NJ were definite and had one more person tentative. I updated the list to reflect this, so if I misread, please let me know.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom