Official Remembrance Day 2010 dive thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds about right. I like the idea of being as inclusive as possible but also think the Keystone guys will enjoy themselves. There is a lot of life there and Mike should get some good HD footage. Perhaps some of Marty being chased by the sharks that hang out around there...

Sounds about right. I like the idea of being as inclusive as possible but also think the Keystone guys will enjoy themselves.

Yeah, I've had to miss out on about three keystone trips already so I think I better take my chance now. But I'm up for a local next weekend, Saturday or Sunday.

I am up for keystone... and local on the sat/sun, etc.. may I suggest some cultas lake action?
Dale: Wouldnt be the first time, unless its something other than a dogfish.

No, sixgills are considered non aggressive for the most part. These are different.

I'm just kidding :D

Here's a list of sharks in our waters though. Apparently there has never been a diver sighting of a GWS so that's something to aim for. Source: http://www.surfingvancouverisland.com/surf/st99e.htm:

1.) Sixgill Shark, Hexanchus griseus - Associate with and eat commercial fish species.

2.) Sevengill Shark, Notorynchus maculatus - Distributed from California to Northern B.C.

3.) Thresher Shark, Alopias vulpinus - Has an enormous tail. Normall a warm water shark, found in B.C. from Saanich Inlet and Sooke to Johnstone Straight.

4.) White Shark, Carcharodon carcharias - Also called "Great White Shark" Found worldwide in temperate, coastal waters and occasionally strays into B.C. waters.

5.) Basking Shark, Cetorhinurs maximus - A huge shark, which may reach 40-45 feet in length. It filters tiny crustaceans from the water for food. Numbers have declined in B.C., but there is an active program now to study them.

6.) Salmon Shark, Lamna ditropis - Is said to eat commercial fish (salmon). Relatively common in B.C. in the Straight of Georgia and offshore.

7.) Brown Cat Shark, Apristurus brunneus - Found in southern B.C., with most records coming from the Straight of Georgia. A small shark, up to 27 inches in length.

8.) Soupfin Shark, Galeorhinus zyopterus - Found up the coast to northern B.C. Yes, these sharks are actually caught for food, and in California there is a fishery for fins and fresh fillets.

9.) Blue Shark, Prionace glauca - A warm water shark that is common off of the coast of Vancouver Island and the Queen Charlottes in the summer months. Largest authenticated size is 12 feet, 7 inches.

10.) Pacific Sleeper Shark, Somniosis pacificus - Found up the coast of B.C. to the Alaska border. A bottom shark that has been found at depths of 448 meters.

11.) Spiny Dogfish, Squalus acantias - Probably the most common type of shark in B.C., and the one that most people have seen (especially if they are salmon fishers) For a long time, they were caught commercially for their liver oil, as it contained large quantities of Vitamin A.
Of the 11 species that have been seen in BC, only the white shark is really capable of an attack on a seal or sea lion.

Man Dale, you would think with all those sharks up here that we would see more :(

Now, back to diving on Thursday, where are all us local ladies & boys going?

a great book, one of the few I've read is called sharks of the pacific northwest.
the six gills were around Puget sound but that very expensive laboratory Seattle aquarium invested in seems to be a waste of time and money these days.
my last venture to the Seattle aquarium, they said the last shark sighting was 6 months ago.
ouch.

Let's do Porteau, say a 9am meet. That would give the early birds a chance for a dive and then a quiet minute at 11am during the SI.

Porteau sounds great. It's been a really loooong time since I've done Porteau. So local, and yet so neglected of my attentions. It's just that diving has been pulling me to other destinations...

...like this one -- 48o 26' 50"N, 122o 56' 36"W -- where, today, I saw a couple of Steller Sea Lions doing fast fly-by's on us. So big, so agile and fast...

Yes, they were spectacular :D. No, I do not have pictures. It was not a solo dive so I do have confirmation from my dive buddy as well as sightings from other diver teams in our boat.

Back
Top Bottom