Ohio Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilboa I havent been to yet... its a lil' over an hour away... whereas the other 2 are about 30 min. away...

Portage : Lots more fish, Lot BIGGER fish. More in general to see (or maybe the same amount but packed closer together). Vis IS worse than Whitestar.

Whitestar: Very few fish (ok I guess there are times when you see a dozen 3" babies or so shallow, but Nothing compared to a quarry that Doesnt allow fishing). Lots of open space between things to see... Very nice training platforms. The Crusher! :)

I bounce back n forth between Portage an Whitestar as they Both have their Own appeal.

Gilboa for things to see under water, Portage to see things above water, Whitestar for laid back mellow fun diving.

My three teenage sons love Portage for this very reason They are getting better at volleyball than diving now. :D

I was diving at portage a few weeks ago and a very attractive woman in her twenties in a very small bikini was leaning over the car parked next to us. We were just getting out of the water and walking back to our cars. I turned to my buddy and told him that was one site you never see at Gilboa.

I was diving at portage a few weeks ago and a very attractive woman in her twenties in a very small bikini was leaning over the car parked next to us. We were just getting out of the water and walking back to our cars. I turned to my buddy and told him that was one site you never see at Gilboa.

You think they sequester us divers out there at Whitestar on Purpose? hmmmm...

Gilboa I havent been to yet... its a lil' over an hour away... whereas the other 2 are about 30 min. away...

Portage : Lots more fish, Lot BIGGER fish. More in general to see (or maybe the same amount but packed closer together). Vis IS worse than Whitestar.

Whitestar: Very few fish (ok I guess there are times when you see a dozen 3" babies or so shallow, but Nothing compared to a quarry that Doesnt allow fishing). Lots of open space between things to see... Very nice training platforms. The Crusher! :)

I bounce back n forth between Portage an Whitestar as they Both have their Own appeal.

You need to go to Gilboa if you want to see fish :wink: There are no fish in Portage or White Star compared to Gilboa :eyebrow:

I've never been to Portage when the visibility wasn't horrid but we always went in late spring. I hear it's MUCH better in the summer.

White Star has a nice breeding population of Yellow Perch and in the spring you can see their eggs strung on just about every tree in the quarry. Super cool once you figure out that's what you're looking at.

Gilboa is great for new divers because it's easy to navigate using the lines that go from one attraction to the other. White Star is a nice place to do compass navigation because the attractions are spread out and you need good compass skills and a straight kick over long distance to find some of them (still haven't found that potato chip truck). Portage is nice for topside activities for non-divers.

All three are worth visiting.
Ber :lilbunny:

I guess you never seen me at Gilboa. I wear my bikini speedo at Gilboa. :D Just look for the really white guy with the skinny shaved legs. That would be I.....

You need to go to Gilboa if you want to see fish :wink: There are no fish in Portage or White Star compared to Gilboa :eyebrow:

I've never been to Portage when the visibility wasn't horrid but we always went in late spring. I hear it's MUCH better in the summer.

White Star has a nice breeding population of Yellow Perch and in the spring you can see their eggs strung on just about every tree in the quarry. Super cool once you figure out that's what you're looking at.

Gilboa is great for new divers because it's easy to navigate using the lines that go from one attraction to the other. White Star is a nice place to do compass navigation because the attractions are spread out and you need good compass skills and a straight kick over long distance to find some of them (still haven't found that potato chip truck). Portage is nice for topside activities for non-divers.

All three are worth visiting.

Portage has a laid out compass course which is a lot of fun and the vis is a lot better in the summer and winter. It not as many people as gilboa on the weekends and the entire 22 acres can be dove without going too deep. The camping is a lot better than gilboa. Jeff is really easy going and he does put some GREAT parties together.

I've not been to Portage and I guess I'll have to make it there this summer some time.

But as to Gilboa and Whitestar, I like them both equally, but for different reasons.

Bathrooms aside, Whitestar is more pleasant topside for a surface interval. It's your typical park atmosphere with plenty of picnic tables, nice shade trees and a rather pleasant view of the quarry. The entry area is sloping and good for fiddling with gear in shallow water. Parking is good, with most spaces reasonably close to your set up site AT NO ADDITIONAL COST. Added benefit is Gibsonburg is a very short distance away for sandwiches or a creamy whip. On a busy summer weekend, Whitestar is far more pleasant all around than Gilboa when it comes to being topside. Whitestar is cheaper.

Gilboa is better for underwater doodads to look at, but on a busy weekend it's a real PITA on your surface interval, plus you are nickled and dimed to death. Plus Gilboa seems to muck up more than Whitestar....maybe because the "sights" are in a more congested area. Gilboa is closer (to me) so I have a tendency to go there rather than Whitestar. Whitestar is another 60 minutes or so of a drive for me. Gilboa has flushies for potties if you want to hike, whereas Whitestar has latrines, although portapotties aren't much better. Gilboa has far more fishies, especially since Whitestar allows fishing. Lodging while at Gilboa is a lot closer in Findlay. No lodging close to Gibsonburg. Gilboa is more expensive.

See? They both have their good points and their bad points.

Last edited:
Did you get the DVD?

Asked the STAR :crafty:of the above mentioned DVD.:rofl3:

Well, did you get the DVD???:confused:

Well looks like I will be sticking to Portage then! Hahahaha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom