Ohio Quarry Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In regards to DivinHoosier's comments, I have been diving for over 3 years and I was certififed at Portage Quarry. I have dove at WhiteStar and Gilboa. As far as my profile, I prefer to keep that private, however, I will say that I am a female and live in Michigan. I feel you should investigate as to why Pvt. Stash always talks about WhiteStar. With diving both quarries, I prefer Portage Quarry for many reasons. One, there are numerous underwater attractions to see and your dives can be varried. At WhiteStar, there are only a couple of objects and the water is much cooler. The Vis is the same at both quarries, however, the walk to the water at White Star can be too far for some of us to carry equipment. I dove Portage Quarry this past weekend and the vis was 50'. You could most definitely see from the front to the rear of the Hansa jet! I am not trying to say I am only "pro-Portage Quarry", however, having dove all the quarries, Portage Quarry is the largest body of water and there is more to see and do. The access is easy and if you are looking for an instructor, one of the instructors at Portage Quarry has been there for many years. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I feel all divers should be aware of all the opportunities out there. I see a lot of conversation about White Star Quarry, and I just wanted to add information about Portage Quarry, too.

I will echo Cuda2. It is nice being able to park near the water at Portage Quarry. I, too, did my open water certification at Portage Quarry and had a wonderful experience. As to the visibility, I think it depends on the weather and that's for all quarries. Having dove at all the quarries, I do enjoy all the underwater attractions at Portage Quarry and saving a few extra dollars doesn't hurt either. The camping is an extra bonus and I look forward to spending the weekend enjoying International Legends Festival August 7-9th. I'm also taking the Underwater Photography class with Chris Guglielmo July 25-26th at Portage. How Cool is that! What a great price to learn underwater photography from one of the best!

In regards to DivinHoosier's comments, I have been diving for over 3 years and I was certififed at Portage Quarry. I have dove at WhiteStar and Gilboa. As far as my profile, I prefer to keep that private, however, I will say that I am a female and live in Michigan. I feel you should investigate as to why Pvt. Stash always talks about WhiteStar. With diving both quarries, I prefer Portage Quarry for many reasons. One, there are numerous underwater attractions to see and your dives can be varried. At WhiteStar, there are only a couple of objects and the water is much cooler. The Vis is the same at both quarries, however, the walk to the water at White Star can be too far for some of us to carry equipment. I dove Portage Quarry this past weekend and the vis was 50'. You could most definitely see from the front to the rear of the Hansa jet! I am not trying to say I am only "pro-Portage Quarry", however, having dove all the quarries, Portage Quarry is the largest body of water and there is more to see and do. The access is easy and if you are looking for an instructor, one of the instructors at Portage Quarry has been there for many years. I think everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I feel all divers should be aware of all the opportunities out there. I see a lot of conversation about White Star Quarry, and I just wanted to add information about Portage Quarry, too.

You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I wasn't questioning that. If you have no affiliation with Portage, then why not contribute more to this forum then simply extolling the virtues of Portage? It was just very odd that you'd only posted 5 times and all had been to proclaim the virtues of Portage Quarry.

As to Pvt Stash, I know Matt and have dove with Matt. He has no affiliation with White Star. It's simply his favorite place to dive and that's absolutely fine. He's made that fact clear numerous times publicly.

You I don't know from Eve. When someone posts no profile information and only posts when it involves one specific dive location, it is just natural to assume that person is somehow affiliated with that location. I take it at face value that you're not. Thanks for putting my suspicion to rest.

As far as the 3 quarries in NW Ohio go, I've dove Gilboa (53 dives) and White Star (6 dives). They blow away the options we have here in Indiana. I have no doubt Portage falls in the same category. I simply have not had a chance to dive there. I'm sure that some day I will. It just doesn't make sense for me to drive past Gilboa to dive Portage or White Star. My dives at White Star have all been for specific events (training) or when I was in the area. I look forward to some day diving Portage.

The main reason I posted is that over and over and over again I see divers bickering about which is better … Portage – White Star – Gilboa. It’s just flat out tiring. They are all great dive sites … now let’s go out and dive!!!

The neoprene gloves are off and they come out swinging. LOL. Just kidding everyone.

Come on can't we all just get along. We are behaving like Florida Keys divers.

The neoprene gloves are off and they come out swinging. LOL. Just kidding everyone.

Come on can't we all just get along. We are behaving like Florida Keys divers.

That's exactly the point I'm trying to make.

It is lucky for you guys a certain rabbit is very busy right now. Or you all would be getting a serious thwapping:D:D:D:no:

It is lucky for you guys a certain rabbit is very busy right now. Or you all would be getting a serious thwapping:D:D:D:no:

I ain't 'fraid of no wabbits. :peepwalla:

We can take care of you depending on the weekend... if you have all your paperwork in order, one of our six instructors can meet up with you to complete the final two open water dives. Please PM me and I will let you know the hoops you have to jump through. White Star is a PADI recreational facility (just like portage cuda2) and can help you out.

Good Luck in your search.

Rich

....and in case anyone is keeping score I do have a commercial interest in White Star but...

I worked at Gilboa for two years for the previous owner and the deep profile you have to fill out is part of my senior thesis in college.. .I have over 300 logged dives there (dont make me count them all out)

I spent the first 3 years of my instructional career in Portage... I like all the cool stuff Mike, Jeff and Tyler have sunk in the place.. I really like the Hansa Jet and the silo is something really cool. again don't make me count the all out but I am sure that I have over 400 logged dives there...

I still dive White Star on my day off... and we are sinking lots of new stuff... 50 ft visibility today... you can snorkel the whole quarry and see the bottom on days like today... and nothing compares to the crusher and the tunnel.

Where ever you dive, be safe and have fun...

Rich

....and in case anyone is keeping score I do have a commercial interest in White Star but...

This is exactly how online promotion should be done. Rich has ALWAYS made it clear that he has a commercial interest in White Star. There is nothing at all wrong with online promotion as long as it's done with full disclosure. Rich is always good about not hiding behind a screen name.

Now Cuda2 is not affiliated with Portage. Fair enough and thanks for clearing things up. However, sock puppets are WAY too common on this and other forums so it just becomes second nature to question.

Again ... 3 great quarries that make us Hoosier's jealous. Be safe and dive!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom