Ohio Quarry Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s a good choice Rich is a great guy and they are Very helpful, we dive White star regularly and I am working on a project with Rich now. What day are you going and maybe we could meet you there as well. The vis at W-Start is the best of the major 3 quarries and water temps aren’t too bad I dive a 7ml suit and its good I have seen some with 3 mls but I'm not that bold and cant afford to go dry yet but its in the plans soon.. Good luck and happy diving hope to see you one day!

That's good to hear - the feedback about Whitestar... I was at Gilboa the week before the big world's record weekend (hey, what a great marketing plan - have to give it to them!). The workers there were soooo rude and prices were - well STUPID. They charge $17 a day for a diver, but an extra $4 if you actually want to bring your car to where you need to put your dive gear. Then, non divers are even charged the extra $4 if they so much as ride in the car with you back there. Never again there! sorry!

That's good to hear - the feedback about Whitestar... I was at Gilboa the week before the big world's record weekend (hey, what a great marketing plan - have to give it to them!). The workers there were soooo rude and prices were - well STUPID. They charge $17 a day for a diver, but an extra $4 if you actually want to bring your car to where you need to put your dive gear. Then, non divers are even charged the extra $4 if they so much as ride in the car with you back there. Never again there! sorry!

You're going to totally write-off an awesome site over $4? Wow. You should try the crappy mud holes we have in Indiana that charge $15-$20. Haigh charges $20. Mermet charges $20.

Personally I think the $4 to park is stupid. Mike should charge $20 a head and stop worrying about parking vs. no parking. But when folks get their undies in a wad over $4 it always amazes me.

Whatever. It'll keep the place less crowded for the rest of us.

Not getting into this fight but, oops, believe DH is right an Mike should do a straight charge of $20 and he would be justified for what he has. Oops, got involved.

Why you worrying. You have wrecks and galore around you. Who needs ohio while it is summer time? Gosh, who needs Ohio?

bus

its about the incremental "nickel -n- dimeing" ...

people want to be dealt with straight up..., with no convoluted fine-print bs...

jus' gimme a Fair price and nix the 'hidden' charges...

Last edited:
Exactly... it's not about $4! Its about the fact that even the workers are confused at what to charge at times. It's really $21 a day of diving.... I would agree that he should just publish $20 a day and then let people compare to the other area places. My friend actually had to pay $6.00 JUST TO DROP ME OFF in their parking lot (he then went back to town). It's the nickle and dime, the confusion in pricing, and to be honest - rude customer service when we are just trying to understand their fees!

Someone posted earlier - "...why dive there - you have so many good dive sites elsewhere". It's because we picked a dive shop for classes (Advanced, deep, dry, etc) that chose to go there (probably because they get free entrance and fills - understandable). The site was one thing that I had not checked into when chosing a local dive shop for training. It will be in the future though! I won't go through a shop that only trains at Gilboa. Most go multiple places though :)!

My friend actually had to pay $6.00 JUST TO DROP ME OFF in their parking lot (he then went back to town).

That's a new one. I'm not aware of them charging just to drop someone off. Last year I had a friend pick me up on his way to White Star. He didn't pay a dime.

*UPDATE* Having just looked at their website it looks like you registered your friend as a non-diver. Why'd you do that? If he was just dropping you off, why did they even know about him? Now if he wanted to hang out a bit and watch you dive, then he's a non-diving guest and he costs $6. That's actually a deal. Many quarries charge more then that. For example, Haigh Quarry charges $10.

I imagine what happened is that you needed him to drive you back and drop you off. Once you go past the office, you're a guest and it's $6. While I understand that's frustrating, it's the same thing at any for-fee park anywhere. If you want in, you gotta pay. At least they have a guest rate available. I do agree though that it pretty much bites when all he's doing is dropping you off.

The way I look at it (just my opinion ... take it or leave it), when you look at the overall cost of gear, training, charters for "real" dives, etc, $4 here and $6 there just doesn't add up to sh%$ in the grand scheme of things. There are very few quality training sites in the area and I'm awfully glad Mike and Jodie run the place and continue to put money into it. The site offers enough value that I'm willing to pay the fees they charge. While all the separate fees are silly, I just tell them what I'm doing (# of nights, camping, 1 vehicle, etc.) and pay the bill. It always comes out to a reasonable amount for what I get in return.

...rude customer service when we are just trying to understand their fees!

Not saying it doesn't happen, but I've never seen it there. As a matter of fact, I've never seen it at Haigh, Gilboa or White Star. Those are the primary quarries I've been to over the past 2 years. However, I've read posts bashing all three for poor customer service. Go figure.

Someone posted earlier - "...why dive there - you have so many good dive sites elsewhere". It's because we picked a dive shop for classes (Advanced, deep, dry, etc) that chose to go there (probably because they get free entrance and fills - understandable). The site was one thing that I had not checked into when chosing a local dive shop for training. It will be in the future though! I won't go through a shop that only trains at Gilboa. Most go multiple places though :)!

Fair enough. No sense going someplace you don't like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday I completed my OW certificate at White Star Quarry. Many thanks to Rich who was just an excellent instructor! I really enjoyed diving at White Star... the surface was like glass, the scenery was great and there were many things to see down below.

Many thanks to those who provided all those helpful comments and guided me through this Ohio quarry dive.

In another week I'll be heading back home to Oklahoma. But I'll be back next year and maybe I'll try my hand at lake diving. But, in the mean time, I'll be back to Hawaii and maybe a trip to the gulf of Mexico off of Texas.

Thanks to all

JJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom