Oil in Belize - any thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, that's just what they need. I know that Belize is one of the area's poorest regions, and they could sure use a revenue source other than the few they now have, but oil? Man, this will be the kiss of death to a lot of what we love about the area! And what about the mennonites who live right in the big middle of this? With oil running at about $75 a barrel right now, I shudder to think what is gonna happen. Anybody from down there have any updates? Woody

God forbid that more money isn't put into alternative energy research. Wait until oil hits $140 a barrel. As soon as people see money though then it's hard to turn down. There are pros and cons on both sides. Maybe since they are so enviromentally cautious they will find a way to get the oil out in the most eco-friendly way.

WOODMAN:
And what about the mennonites who live right in the big middle of this? Woody

The Mennonites are taking full advantage of it and crudely refining it and using it. You see, in Belize there are about three different degrees of "mennonitism". there are the traditional ones who are as strict as the Amish. And then there are the Blue Creek and Spanish Lookout ones, who build Belize. Some of the most hard working, honest people I have ever met and I'm proud to call some of them friends. (there is another group about halfway in between) They figured that you can't make a living not using "modern technology" so they farm and run heavy machinery, drive trucks..not to mention dirt bikes, quads and other fun stuff. ..if you want earth or road work done in this country, call the Mennonites. So far, they're figuring out how to refine bits of it and are using it since imported diesel is about US$3.50 a gallon here.

There's oil on the Honduran/Nicaraguan coast (including the Colombian terriroties off of nicaragua) as well as off of Cuba. The Honduran oil is both off shore and onshore - and the border debate with Nicaragua has heated up again. That came out last year in LaPrensa. Lula da Silva of Brazil has already been in talks with Zelaya, the Honduran President about Petrobras helping to develop it. Plus, there is on going site research as to where to put a new oil refinery in Central America.

http://www.globalexchange.org/3507.html
http://www.marinelink.com/Story/ShowStory.aspx?StoryID=201856

In the Great Lakes area demand for kerosene in the winter for Amish / Mennonite communities can well exceed the demand for kerosene as jet fuel. Guess in Belize they just have milder winters.

WarmWaterDiver:
In the Great Lakes area demand for kerosene in the winter for Amish / Mennonite communities can well exceed the demand for kerosene as jet fuel. Guess in Belize they just have milder winters.

The Blue Creek Mennonites run the crudely refined oil in their generators to operate their air conditioners. :D

So they now have a domestic source available rather than dealing with shipping and taxes / duties on imports. I should have expected if they operate heavy machinery, an aversion to A/C might be overcome! We saw several such 'varieties' of these folks during our trip to Belize a few years ago (2003). We were living in NE Ohio at that time.

No comments from anyone on the portion of the linked article describing how these folks 'cut down the jungle' to establish their farms? Just comments on their domestic source of petroleum? (FYI, I have no problems with what these folks have done and are doing - to each their own).

I remember all the chicken available for consumption in Belize came from Mennonite farms according to the info in the tourism blurbs we got during our trip. I found the stewed chicken dishes with rice & beans and local Habanero salsa quite tasty during our visit.

Is there a clear channel for bringing oil tankers in and out of Belize? Also, think of the catastrophic damage potential if there was a spill on the barrier reef.

They wouldn't have to export it until all domestic consumption was fulfilled.

They would need more than a 'crude' refinery for 'crude' oil - in fact the 'cruder' the refinery, the more potential for damage. A sophisticated refinery with sophisticated control systems, well trained operators, and current technology would be less dangerous. A good example is the BP Texas City incident in March 2005 - check the latest public report - on how they are just now restarting after shutting down before Hurricane Rita in order to replace antiquated technology & control systems (been quite a few months) and perform better training from managers on down.

People still dive at Aruba & Curacao - I don't think the reduction in lobster population we saw on Curacao vs. the Caymans was selective oil refining damage. Plenty of fish both places. Same goes for Honduras.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom