Oily bikini lady in rebreather ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
You may want to keep in mind that the woman in question (you know, the one you are calling a Bimbo) may be reading this thread, and she is obviously a very competent tech diver.
I don't think anyone is calling anyone a bimbo. It's about stereotypical perceptions and a basic human core instinct. If it wasn't for those things then sex wouldn't sell - but it does. No one can really fool me that it was done by "accident" and no one thought about it! Sorry - maybe I'm cynical but I can't possibly believe that.

These kind of adverts use women, (and to a lesser extent men), simply as objects. It has nothing to do with the content, or lack thereof, of their minds, or who they really are. They're to be looked at with the intention of eliciting a primeval gut reaction - and in most people that's exactly what it does. Depending on your point of view you may call it "sexy" or "sexist". After a life time of deep discussions with ladies about female roles in society etc.....you know.....feminism - I can say with complete certainty that most of them would most definitely describe such advertising as sexist. That said - some would be more bothered than others, and some would probably apply for the job themselves.

nereas:
Did anyone ask the question, yet, as to whether Chickdiver also dives with a KISS CCR?
Not that it matters, but no, I do not dive a KISS. I dive a Megaladon.

wow, chickdiver, you are legendary

you are getting press all over lately... (proud to *knowya*)

These kind of adverts use women, (and to a lesser extent men), simply as objects. It has nothing to do with the content, or lack thereof, of their minds, or who they really are.
Kim, I think Japan is a perfect of example of sexuality in a culture being sort of driven underground...I mean, where else can you buy school girls used knickers in vending machines ? I was wondering if you have any comment on this sort of thing (as related to marketing and cultural *norms*. Very sexually opressed on the surface, but a huge "shadow-life."

RonFrank:
It seems that you are sexist. I certainly did not take the leap from KISS to Bimbo based on the add.

[snip]

You may want to keep in mind that the woman in question (you know, the one you are calling a Bimbo) may be reading this thread, and she is obviously a very competent tech diver.

(not directed at RonFrank)

I wonder why when Tusa came out with it's Ad campaign last year it didn't raise this kind of a ruckus' (see below one of their pics.)

Was it becuase it was only fins/ & masks (and not a rebreather) or because someone with huge breasts pouring out wasn't involved?

Either way, they put a girl in a swimsuit to sell scuba gear. (Tusa is not the only one doing it either...)

One of their add files names is even named GetAlltheAttentionAd.jpg

see all the pics at http://www.tusa.com/news.shtml

lavenderad.jpg

GetAlltheAttentionAd.jpg

Don't worry people, I'm still lurking in this thread, registrating I have support, and from people I always enjoy reading their posts. And they speak well for themselves, as opposed to one or two monkeys in here...

I am glad I wasn't the only one reacting as I did to the ad. Thanks folks, and it's not the time to let this thread go to sleep yet! :D

those are wonderful adds and made me consider the product. ..I would say those are more "nature biology" driven...like the geometry found in insects and even fish, in sort of a sci fi space age modern way. very nice, and unusual for the scuba industry which is often pretty dowdy.

...but I am not into all that colored stuff.

HI K

do it easy:
I don't recall her looking particularly oily, just tan.

She was not oiled up and is very nicely tanned. Take it from an eye witness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom