OK, 'fess up.... the Dark Side of Solo...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spend my time enjoying the scenery instead of looking for my buddy.

I've been diving for 37 years and have just begun diving solo in the last couple of years because I have become a still photographer. Although I have a regular buddy, I find that diving alone allows me to not feel guilty that my buddy has to wait while I shoot something over and over and over, to get the right lighting. Also it keeps me from getting pissed when he's off swimming when I find a good subject I want to shoot over and over and over, to get the right lighting. Most of the serious photographers I find who dive Southern California are solo divers. I enjoy my buddy for comeraderie, so I will still dive with a buddy. But I take my photography too seriously to give up diving solo.

1. Ditto the photography thing. It just does not work well with a buddy.

2. I have also done the helmet diver imitation a time or two. A buddy would not undrstand.

3. I used to do a fair amount of inland commercial diving - 90% of it was solo, in low viz and in conditions where a buddy would have been a liability or a safety risk.

4. On many technical dives, I prefer to be solo. It leaves me free to change the dive plan on the fly with no need to check with or communicate the change to a dive buddy. It lets you adjust things up or down based on the conditions so you can go right to the edge of the comfort zone - and not have to worry about any one else's comfort zone. And you can use the extra resources to enjoy the dive rather than communicate with the buddy.

5. I do enjoy diving with a buddy, its just that buddies that are well matched to your personality and skill level can be very rare, and I like to dive a lot more than reliance on a buffy would allow.

I'm just back from a couple of weeks vacation and it's great to read your responses... I managed a couple of dives every day, and with three exceptions, I was alone. On one of those exceptions, I was with an old friend on a wreck in 110', when I looked at her (being the good buddy I am and all, we were only 3' apart...) and the whites of her eyes were huge, she was pointing at her reg in some unintelligble signal, and then clamped onto the wreck... I was reminded of exactly why I dive alone! And thought of this thread...

I did one dive up here on a 200' limestone wall. I love knocking huge rocks of the top of it and trying to hear them hit the bottom while leaving a huge silt "contrail" and then a massive muck explosion at the bottom! I assume that other divers in the immediate area might not appreciate that! :dork2:

Because I can fart underwater without having to worry about what my buddy thinks.:11:

LOL... The problem with diving in a drysuit though, is that you just package those gems up to share with the boat tender when you get back. Opening a back zipper can be just rude!

(Oh, yes, my buddy got it together and all was good...)

5. I do enjoy diving with a buddy, its just that buddies that are well matched to your personality and skill level can be very rare, and I like to dive a lot more than reliance on a buddy would allow.

This is the best way to phrase my feeling about it.

Exploration of new territory. Up over down around turn-around go back surface for visual reference redecend without the dive buddy wondering whether I have lost my mind.

I like diving with a buddy because most of my buddies are good friends and we like to share what we see and do. And go to lunch and share the dive. Now, having said that, I like to do macro photography, and none of them do. So...., if I want to hang around one little bitty patch of coral, or even worse as far as my buddies are concerned, a patch of turtle grass, I need to go by myself.

I can take the kayak, paddle where I like, dive when and where I like, stay all day, or come ashore as soon as I want. Sometimes I just float around enjoying the day.

I'll not stop diving with my friends, but I'll not stop solo diving either.

John D

I'm not leading a dive, not worrying about other divers sac, not constantly looking around and under my fins checking too see where they are. It is MY dive, me and myself, relaxing with my thoughts and enjoying a peacefull dive within my mental element and diving ability. Is this self centered? I guess so!

Like others, I like exploring the underwater world at my pace, where I want to go, without concerns for who might be diving with me (no need to consult on a change of plans, or if I just want to watch something for a few minutes).

That...and I can pee (via the overboard discharge system) without having to make sure no one is downstream. :D

Just my two cents...Cheers!

Lets see being able to stand in the sand on top of the wall staring out into the blue; unzipping my front zip and pulling a Yellow Russian without someone swimming over and trying to see what I am watching (or taking pictures of the event).

Either that or not worrying about having to keep checking on my buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom