OK, 'fess up.... the Dark Side of Solo...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing beats diving with a good friend and trusted buddy. By the same token everything beats diving with a dangerously inexperienced buddy - the kind you can get stuck with on dive boats. ...

Or classes taken through the dive shop; I'll second that. My absolute worst dives have been with other people who have no business being in the water, to the point of putting their own life in danger and mine aswell.

Not to say that there arent good buddies out there, because I am one when someone needs a buddy.

never entered the water solo yet, but one a$$hat I dive with regularly loses me on more than half the dives I've done with him, so many times I come out of the water solo. From these experiences, I determined I need to be completely self-sufficient with people like him, basically being a 'solo diver'. Or maybe I just need better buddies.... :)

SS, in florida that's bound to happen. But being self sufficient and recognizing it are the first steps.

By the way, does your call sign mean your a Supra owner?

From these experiences, I determined I need to be completely self-sufficient with people like him, basically being a 'solo diver'. Or maybe I just need better buddies.... :)

Recognizing that you have a problem is the first step towards recovery! :D

Sometimes my "solo" dives are buddy dives where the buddy doesn't know what a buddy is. Sometimes my solo dives are with my best pals where we dive in the same area but all are diving solo.

In many ways, I think the best buddy pair is made up of two solo divers!

Jorgie, my first car, and no, not a 93-98 model :(. Got a truck just in time for gas prices to go over $2 a gallon a couple years ago, but it pulls the boat! The name kinda stuck online and I'm sure scubasteve has been taken a hundred times over, especially on a scuba forum...

What a relief it is to dive solo. On the one hand you don't have a buddy to worry about. On the other hand you don't have a buddy to worry about.

Jorgie, my first car, and no, not a 93-98 model :(. Got a truck just in time for gas prices to go over $2 a gallon a couple years ago, but it pulls the boat! The name kinda stuck online and I'm sure scubasteve has been taken a hundred times over, especially on a scuba forum...

Got it, thought it had to do with a tournament ski boat forum I belong to.

Our hard water turned soft again in WI, so back to the solo diving very soon. Barge is in the water, just need to find the time, but first I'll hit the warm currents off West Palm again just to enjoy the warm water:shocked2:

Our hard water turned soft again in WI, so back to the solo diving very soon.

Same here in Ontario... I think I'll hit the quarry down the road from me this weekend to test fire the camera stuff... my best non-buddy buddy might even dig his boat out... before heading south in a couple of weeks... Where I will enjoy diving with my highly inexperienced (but superbly trained, if I do say myself...) new, and much improved wife.

And I will enjoy it. I will enjoy it. I will enjoy it.

Honest.

Really.

Sigh...

I havent soloed yet but its coming very soon. I hate always having to look for my buddy, i have a very open schedule so i like to dive all the time and its very hard to find a buddy during the week ive missed too many good days to go diving in the past couple weeks so im thinking of going solo, most of the diving i do is in less than 30' im pretty comfortable doing that solo. Any advice for me?

I havent soloed yet but its coming very soon. I hate always having to look for my buddy, i have a very open schedule so i like to dive all the time and its very hard to find a buddy during the week ive missed too many good days to go diving in the past couple weeks so im thinking of going solo, most of the diving i do is in less than 30' im pretty comfortable doing that solo. Any advice for me?

Get a redundant air source and practice with it. I use independent doubles and practice switching a lot with my eyes closed, exhaled breath, either hand ect.

Back
Top Bottom