OK, I'll admit I'm interested!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for the replies and lot's of good info.
I'm only starting to seriously look at rebreathers and will probably not buy for at least 4 months.
Meantime I'll read a few books that have been recommended and maybe do some rebreather try out pool sessions to get a feel for it.

I agree with everything above. I dove and taught SCRs (both the Dolphin and the Azimuth) for several years before moving to CCR. At the time I started SCR diving my motivation was to try rebreather diving without spending tons of money. Now, however, with the KISS units and the Copis Meg, there are CCRs that are competitively priced with SCRs. With all of the advantages of CCRs I see no reason to dive a SCR. Personally, I rarely dive greater than 150 fsw and usually dive less than 100 fsw but the bubble-free diving, breathing warm moist air, five hours of dive time on my 14 cu ft cylinders, no spooking certain marine life, etc make it so I dive CCR all the time, even on the 60 fsw reefs in West Palm. I just enjoy it more than open circuit. Also, with my Sport Kiss I can pack the whole thing (including the cylinders) into a Storm Case and have it weigh less than 50 lbs; i.e., travel is not a problem. There is even someone on rebreatherworld.com who took his in his carry-on luggage!

As mentioned above, you can search the IANTD database (www.iantd.com) for instructors in your area. Another option would be to look in Advanced Diver Magazine (www.advanceddivermagazine.com) for any upcoming Rebreather Demos in your area. Curt Bowen, the publisher, frequently has them around the country and invites all of the major manufacturers to bring their product for both didactic information and pool sessions so the participants can try out the various units. We are in the process of setting one up at our shop here in Lakeland, Florida in February. We're only 45 minutes from Tampa and Houston to Tampa is a direct flight if you're interested in joining us.

And (no pressure of course) if you ever decide to go the KISS route, I'm an instructor for them. :)

Doug

debersole:
I agree with everything above. I dove and taught SCRs (both the Dolphin and the Azimuth) for several years before moving to CCR. At the time I started SCR diving my motivation was to try rebreather diving without spending tons of money. Now, however, with the KISS units and the Copis Meg, there are CCRs that are competitively priced with SCRs. With all of the advantages of CCRs I see no reason to dive a SCR. Personally, I rarely dive greater than 150 fsw and usually dive less than 100 fsw but the bubble-free diving, breathing warm moist air, five hours of dive time on my 14 cu ft cylinders, no spooking certain marine life, etc make it so I dive CCR all the time, even on the 60 fsw reefs in West Palm. I just enjoy it more than open circuit. Also, with my Sport Kiss I can pack the whole thing (including the cylinders) into a Storm Case and have it weigh less than 50 lbs; i.e., travel is not a problem. There is even someone on rebreatherworld.com who took his in his carry-on luggage!

As mentioned above, you can search the IANTD database (www.iantd.com) for instructors in your area. Another option would be to look in Advanced Diver Magazine (www.advanceddivermagazine.com) for any upcoming Rebreather Demos in your area. Curt Bowen, the publisher, frequently has them around the country and invites all of the major manufacturers to bring their product for both didactic information and pool sessions so the participants can try out the various units. We are in the process of setting one up at our shop here in Lakeland, Florida in February. We're only 45 minutes from Tampa and Houston to Tampa is a direct flight if you're interested in joining us.

And (no pressure of course) if you ever decide to go the KISS route, I'm an instructor for them. :)

Doug

Doug

I like the idea of the KISS Sport being travel friendly- most of the diving I do involves a flight first so this is definitely a consideration.
I'm probably going to visit the family in Australia in Feb so I'm unlikely to make it to Tampa but thanks for the invite and I will let you know if I end up with a KISS unit.

Col

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom