Okay I am sick of this I want to lose weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HEAVY WEIGHT are you calling me a heavy weight? Okay I am LOL I am 6'3' 260lbs and when I was training all the time I tipped the scales at 240 with an 8% bf. I do miss the knowledge that I could squat over 500lbs or bench 350 for reps but after many injurys I had to walk away from the iron side of my life. My knees are not an issue for me but my left shoulder is another story. The hardest thing for me is going to force myself to go slow. Thanks all I will be lurking in the shadows. Is there some sort of a "weight in"? I think read about one but ahve not really looked for it.

If your shoulder allows it, you would be a natural for indoor rowing competitions. Unlike real rowing, where additional weight means additional drag, additional muscle is not penalized. So height, strength and aerobic capacity set the upper boundaries on what is possible and you've already got two out of three covered :)

What does this have to do with diving? Well, your SAC will get better as your aerobic condition improves. You'll need less weight as your muscle/fat ratio improves. And you can watch Deep Sea Detectives while you row.

Cool that is good to know I will have to check into that. My shoulder will not stop me from doing most things any more. I just have to avoid heavy lifting (200lbs) till the doc give me the okay. He has me doing Cuban rotations and other torture move to strengthen my shoulder ligaments

Lukiedukie:
That is the great thing. I do not drink beer very often maybe one or two a month. My problem is Coke!!!! If possible I will fire 2-3 back in a day at least. When I was in shape before I did not allow any Cole Pepsi Dr Pepper in my house. If I tried that now there would be a mutiny the my 14 year old leading the charge. I have to start substituting water for Coke. If I can do that I bet I will drop 10lbs just from the drop in daily caloric intake. I figure my dog walking will be around 30-45 minutes of activity that I did not have before. I am thinking if I do that for a month then I should be able to add some more intense activities (Jogging, Wind sprints, Shadow boxing,)

Try switching to Diet Dr. Pepper and diet Pepsi.

There was a study that was just completed with high school and middle school kids. The only thing they changed was to switch from regular soda to diet soda.
The result was that on average they lost 1 pound per month.

Another member mentioned the Weight Watchers points system. I decided I wanted to lose weight so I join the Weight Watchers plan during lunch at work.

From December 22, 2005 through last Thursday (March 2, 2006) I lost 19.4 pounds.
I am hoping to lose another 30 pounds by June.

I basically have a Slim Fast and a glass of tomato juice for breakfast.
For lunch I have a wrap sandwich (usually tuna or roast beef with lettuce, tomato and peppers.

For dinner I usually have a variety of items from Campbell's Chunky Chicken Soup, Weight Watchers or Healthy choice frozen dinners or homemade pasta.

On the weekends, I have the same breakfast that I have during the week. For lunch I make a fresh garden salad and an ALBA shake with cinnamon, vanilla extract and almond extract added.

I also, try to row 30 minutes every morning. I usually end up rowing (rowing machine) about 6400 - 6600 meters (about 4 miles).

I am losing about 2 pounds per week (sometimes slightly less).

I am 51 years old so I take a little more effort than when I was 30.

As a medical professional, I suggest a good medical exam with blood work before you change your routine too dramatically. I was a little on the heavy side and during a routine physical, I found out I had a hypothyroid condition. Got the right kind of medications and over time lost 50 pounds. At 6'2" and 208, I feel pretty good.

Another thing to consider is are you getting a good nights sleep? Metabolic issues and sugar uptake can be effected by not getting enough sleep. Secondly, when you are getting good sleep you feel like doing something after a long day at the office, and it is proven that no matter how active we are at work, it is the additional effort we make that counts. How can you add to your routine if you are so tired at the end of the day and all you wawnt to do is sit down and relax.

Just some food for though. It will take time. In all my weight loss took about 3 years. Good Luck

Tim

Thanks I have a doc apointment set to pull blood and check everything Diabeats thyroid chlorestorel LDL and so on so forth. I am getting decent sleep but I am in the process of training a 5 month lab puppy and work second shift so 6-8 hours is a great day. LOL thanks I will make sure I do not go to far off the deep end till I get back all the blood work

1) Start with the doctors appointment and get the blood work done. 2) Cut out the junk food. You don't have to quit the pop but it will help, and if you go from 3 to 2 per day thats 1/3 less calories from the pop. If you do quit the pop in about 2 months a pop will taste like syrup. 3) You don't need a special diet, just cut the portions back a little. 4) Any exercise is good exercise. 5) Maybe this would be a good family activity? Good luck.

Update

I have not jumped on the scale and do not plan to for a while now. (3 weeks min) I have replaced my chips and candy snacks with carrots apples and oranges. So far I have been out walking at least following a schedule of long walk/short walk every day so far. The long walks are around 1 hour to around 1:30. The next day I am doing shorter walks around 30 minutes walks. So far so good. I do have to say that my dogs are in worse shape then I am but they seem to be catching up fast. Soon far nothing to unpleasant just some muscle soreness in my low back glutes and calves. I will admit I was winded on Saturday walk for some reason I think it was the humidity the got to me but outside of that all is well. I am waiting on results on my blood work but so far so good. If things continue to go well I may add an additional walk after I get off work 3 nights a week. I will continue to update as I go along

Back
Top Bottom